• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

remote door locks

madcrazy_lp

NAXJA Forum User
I have this remote (it opens and locks the doors) that came with my 92 4.0 XJ Laredo and it doesnt work. I checked batteries they are fine. But I would like information on it. Is my XJ even supposed to have one of these? Is there a way I can reset the Remote so it works? Help please.

I think you may be able to reprogram it if you start the engine, open the door, and hit the button at the black, dome thingy on the top front of the ceiling inside. I read something about it... Just give it a go

There is a code programmed in both the overhead console and the "clicker" that must match. If they don't you are out of luck.

There is a place on the web where you can buy a replacement clicker for about $80. www.thejeep.com You will need to know the code that is on a small paper in the overhead console on the electronics.

jeepinxj05 said:
I think you may be able to reprogram it if you start the engine, open the door, and hit the button at the black, dome thingy on the top front of the ceiling inside. I read something about it... Just give it a go

Not necessarily - if it's the single-button remote (which I have), the code is hardwired. This is also an IR unit (like a TV remote control), so you'll have to aim it at the little dome between the visors, and you won't get much range. With mine, I'm basically only able to use it within a foot or three of the vehicle.

sjx40250 is correct - you'll need to get that code out of the existing remote (or, if there's no little label/slip with the 5-digit code on it, you'll have to pull the reciever dome down and look in there for it. Once you have that, you can go over to the website he mentions, and hunt down "Piland Electronics". He'll take very good care of you.

There's also another option - a couple folks here have spoken of a $20-30 keyless entry kit availiable through JC Whitney that works well, and can be wired in place of the factory system very easily (there was a thread on this a few months back either here in "mod" or "oem" tech). I haven't tried this one, but if the Piland transmitter I bought ever dies, I just might.

Rob

Okay so is there anyway i can get mine working without haveing to spend any money?

92 XJ 4.0 Laredo With the little black ball in the overhead console.

Dude... You already asked this question here. Please don't start a second thread on the same topic when you've already got one going. With that out of the way...

madcrazy_lp said:
92 XJ 4.0 Laredo With the little black ball in the overhead console.

OK, based on the description you've given, you have the IR locking, but the RF fob - and they're mutually-incompatible. If you flip the key fob over, are there four lines of text on the back, the first three starting 'CHRYSLER P/N', 'MODEL/FCC', and 'CANADA' with the fourth being the TRW logo?

Just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing here.

casm said:
Dude... You already asked this question here. Please don't start a second thread on the same topic when you've already got one going.

madcrazy_lp, I owe you an apology. Somehow I thought you had started the other thread that I referenced, but clearly you didn't. Definitely a brain fart on my end, and apologies for jumping down your throat.

okay thanks. I apologize too I'm still kinda getting used to the site.

Okay. Yeah mine has the four lines with the "CHRYSLER P/N" and "MODEL/FCC" Now the one i have is RF right but the little black dome in my ceiling indicates that my Jeep is IR? so they are incompatible huh?

When i bought the Jeep it came with two "fobs" one that said Jeep another that didn't I assumed that the one that didnt wasnt the right one so I have misplaced it and now am tearing up the house looking for it. I hope its not gone =(

madcrazy_lp said:
okay thanks. I apologize too I'm still kinda getting used to the site.

No worries... It was completely my fault for confusing two similar threads. Anyway:

Okay. Yeah mine has the four lines with the "CHRYSLER P/N" and "MODEL/FCC" Now the one i have is RF right but the little black dome in my ceiling indicates that my Jeep is IR? so they are incompatible huh?

Yep, totally different systems. Sorry for the bad news, but better to let you know now.

When i bought the Jeep it came with two "fobs" one that said Jeep another that didn't I assumed that the one that didnt wasnt the right one so I have misplaced it and now am tearing up the house looking for it. I hope its not gone =(

Hm... OK, assuming you can find it: if it has another semi-similar (but smaller - in fact, it'll look like what you may find on the end of a TV remote) bulb on one end, it *might* work with the IR locking. Chances are it'll need a battery, but one way to check would be to try pointing it at the bubble and walking towards the Jeep while pressing the button every couple of feet. I have no direct experience with Jeep IR remotes, but from the ones I do have experience with they usually only work in about a one- to six-foot radius from the vehicle. This can be a lot less if the bubble is exposed to bright sunlight.

One other possibilty is that the other fob may not be IR - if it's RF, it could be being used to disable an alarm or immobilser, but if that were the case you'd probably know about it by now. It's also possible that it may very well work the doorlocks, but is aftermarket - more than one person has replaced the IR system with an RF one, but left the bubble in place.

Hope this helps...

Yeah the other one was not at all like the one i have. It was square and had some interesting buttons. But I may have thrown it away cause i didn't see any hope for it. I will keep looking and let ya know if i find it. Thanks for the help.

Back