• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No dash lights....what to do?

NTeagle83

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone. I'm new to this page, but not new to the XJ. Just need a little help. I've had my 95 for almost three years now, and ever since I got it, the rear wiper switch only lit up sometimes. Then about six months ago, the A/C panel backlight went out. Then this week, the gauge cluster lights completely stopped working. No bulbs are burnt, and I've searched the archives to try to see if this has been covered, but none of the suggestions worked. My tail lights are still in order, and there is no burnt fuse anywhere. I've had the dash off and even changed the switch for the lights. No grounded hotwires, and the lighting ground wire for the switch was in tact. I've looked at the wiring schematics, but it's kinda Greek, and like I said, the wires are all beautiful. If anyone has some help for the "newbie," it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rhett in Denton, TX

check the dimmer switch...

You could do what I did...go to Wal-Mart, get a book light with a telescoping light and a clip and attach it to the dash. Then flip it on when you drive at night.

Other than that I have no solution as I couldn't figure out mine either.

Mine ended up being a loose wire behind the fusebox, for the 5A dash light fuse. I didn't "find" it until one dark evening when I was wiggling the fuse in the driveway...and saw little blue flashes (arcs) coming from behind the box.
You could also try swapping the light switch out, or pulling the connector off the top of it and putting 12V to the orange/black tracer wire to see if the lights work. If yes, then you know the switch is bad. FYI, the terminal for that wire/circuit is the slanted / one on the top of the switch, all the others are straight |
HTH,
Jeff

I had this same trouble just recently. The dash lights went out and a couple of weeks later the parking/tailights disappeared. I changed the headlight switch - which was getting hot to the touch through the plastic - and everything is functioning as designed.

Thanks for the input so far guys. I'll go out and check the fuse box some more, since I've already changed the light switch. I went out and bought a map light that plugs into the ciggy lighter today just for the time being. I hope I can get this licked soon.

-Rhett

Re: Case closed

Well....I feel like an idiot now. Went back out tonight to look for sparks when jiggling the fuse, and pulled out a blown fuse that looked as alive and healthy as could be yesterday. I guess sometimes it takes a second inspection?? So....is there anything in specific that will make the fuse for the lighting blow if all else is in tact and you're not running any aftermarket accessories or anything? Time...age???

thnaks

I've got a 91 with nothing other than stick stuff electrically speaking. Every once in a while I gotta replace that fuse. I've learned to keep a few spares in tehglove box. Sometimes it'll be a couple years sometimes twice in a month.

Re: Case closed

NTeagle83 said:
So....is there anything in specific that will make the fuse for the lighting blow if all else is in tact and you're not running any aftermarket accessories or anything? Time...age???

thnaks

Congrats on getting it fixed...if you're like me, it was probably driving you insane..LOL. A common problem with manual tranny XJ/MJ's is that the clutch master develop a leak from the rear and the fluid seeps out and down onto the fusepanel. If yours is a stick, you might want to check that out as it can cause big problems if not attended to.
Jeff

It IS a stick....will check into that. The next project, though is figuring out the wife's 99 sport 4.0 auto. Got a squirrely temp gauge with a new CTS and no collappsed hoses and plenty of water. A/C is going on the fritz too. but that's another story for another thread.

thanks again,
Rhett in Denton, TX

Is it just me, or does it seem like the newer they get, the worse they get? My 98 is a bigger pain than the other three put together.

Back