• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making a 2wd AW4 into a 4wd AW4

Tampa_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have a basically brand new aw4 but its off of a 4.0 2wd...i was taking a look at it and it looks like its just a different tail housing kinda like they do on the xfercase housing...so I was wondering if it is as easy as pulling the rear housing and swapping it or if they are completely different trannys...

Tampa_XJ said:
Well I have a basically brand new aw4 but its off of a 4.0 2wd...i was taking a look at it and it looks like its just a different tail housing kinda like they do on the xfercase housing...so I was wondering if it is as easy as pulling the rear housing and swapping it or if they are completely different trannys...

not easy as you hoped. The output shaft is also longer in the 2x version and extends completely thruogh the tranny. so to install a 4x output shaft the entire trans needs to be broke down and reassembled

Back