• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire preservative

Nothing that I have ever used seemed to work. However a detailer I know recommended new motor oil. I tried armourall when it first came out in the 70's or so, but that was back in the day of wearing them out from hole shots so I never had tires laste me longer than a year. Tried formula404, no great shakes. Combined with wesleys tire cleaner and 404 my pirelli's dry rotted in about 16 months... Now I just leave them alone, keep the white letters inside and black outside where I won't be tempted to clean them like the neat little yellow scorpions on the pirellis. :)

I used Simple Green to clean the surface (works great on the white letters that everyone else hates) and then apply Turtle Wax Tire Wax. One coat lasts about a month. If you hit the second coat within the first month and then once a month after that makes for real easy clean up.

B0002KLB06.01-ADG953YR6NRBF._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Nothing. A good scrubbing w/ a brass bristle brush and soapy water gets them nice and black again. Come to think of it, sandy mud always leaves them nice and clean after a wash too. But if your asking about tire preservative, that might be out of the question.

I use STP tire foam, about once a month or so. Seems to help.

RichP said:
Nothing that I have ever used seemed to work. However a detailer I know recommended new motor oil. I tried armourall when it first came out in the 70's or so, but that was back in the day of wearing them out from hole shots so I never had tires laste me longer than a year. Tried formula404, no great shakes. Combined with wesleys tire cleaner and 404 my pirelli's dry rotted in about 16 months... Now I just leave them alone, keep the white letters inside and black outside where I won't be tempted to clean them like the neat little yellow scorpions on the pirellis. :)
I don't think any kind of petroleum on rubber is ever good,right?

jeepdeepfreak said:
I don't think any kind of petroleum on rubber is ever good,right?

I don't know about that, he was using mobil-1 so I don't know if that applies.

Back