• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

please try to help me (nss)

jumpman23_217

NAXJA Forum User
well today was a nice day so i thought i would get out and try to adress my backup light issues...i was going to do the cleaning the nss thing...i needed to soon anyways becasue i would fail inspection if i didnt have back-up lights...so i gave it a shot...everything went fine until i got to the the large nut...after i got it off and tryied to pry the nss unit ;loose off the tranny...the damn thing broke and craked...i wasnt even really trying that hard...anyways i tried to set the thing back on there after i cleaned and lubed it and i did get it back on there...sorta with a few plastic chuncks missing...and tried to start it and my jeep wont start...i get tones and buzzing but no turn over....my one question is should this make it not start? or just make it start in all gears? did i short something or screw something else up? and i guess im going to the jeep dealer ...what am i looking to pay for this crap? I tell yeah everything on my jeep is like tissue paper...everything is so damn brittle and everytime i go to replace something small something else cracks or breaks...i need a new xj and retire this one...maybe someday :(

1992 2wd xj 200,750 miles aw4

Hi Jumpman,

You're not going to like this, but the only place I could find a listing for the neutral safety switch for your XJ was Rockauto. The 2WD switch for the automatic transmission is $294.00 (AC Delco #C2241). Geez.

I just cleaned mine two days ago and fortunately had no problem removing it from the shaft. Had I know how much a replacement would have cost, I probably would have bungled the job out of sheer jitters.

Erik
88 Comanche

jumpman23_217 said:
.my one question is should this make it not start?

Yes, this will make it not start. The NSS does its job by interrupting power to the starter circuit except when in N or P. If it's broken, the circuit will be broken too. Unfortunately, on an XJ it also tells the transmission control unit what gear it's in, and controls the backup lights, so it's an important switch.

I had the same problem, it was giving me trouble when coming off the shaft and broke some pieces of it off in the process. After that the jeep would'nt start, i screwed the thing up pretty bad and a new switch is like they said about $300. What i did was just leave the switch off the vehicle and went up the the harness where the switch should plug into, i used a small piece of wire to connect terminals together on the harness until i found the right pair of terminals that allowed it to start. So basically i just bi-passed it, you still have to hit the brakes before putting it in park or taking out of park, i just wired up my reverse lights to a toggle switch on the dash and it now starts, in any gear though which is'nt a bad thing, just make sure you don't start it in gear for safety reasons. If ya decide to override the switch then let me know and i can be a little more specific and i'll tell ya what two wires ya have to connect to bi-pass the switch.

Eric

thanks

thanks for the info if i didnt live in new jersey i would have by passed it ...but theres no use...i wont pass inspection without reverse lights ...and i can get ticketed for no inspection plus no lights and beleive me the dumb a$$ COPS here will ticket u for stuff like that...like isnt there rapes and muders going on down the street somewhere? anyways its at the dealer for monday morning 1st thing...its gonna cost a fortune ...the only good to come of it will be ill have back up's and i will have learned a lesson...dont screw with parts that cost 300$ to replace! because everything on my jeep is brittle...the previous owner musta lived on a salt flat or something.

thanks

Had the same problem trying to take the nss off. I tried a jumper and ended up blowing a fuse or something somewhere. S when i did get the new switch in it still wouldn't run. I ended up running a 12v lead to the bl/wh wire near the nss connector temporarly until i can find the broken connection.

The NSS changed wiring harness connectors in mid-1996, but otherwise the switch is identical for all the years that Jeep used the AW4. So you can use any year NSS, but you'll have to cut and splice the old connector on if you get one newer than mid-1996.

Search www.ebaymotors.com for "Jeep Neutral Safety Switch" and you'll see a few used for $30 and some new for $120.

-Chris

I'm having this problem now on my '98.
I just looked on Ebay and there's one for the 98-01 for $146.00. Ouch...

Where exactly is this thing located? When you are under the Jeep, looking up at the tranny, is it on top???

You can find "used" ones on eBay. I just bought one for $35 (+shipping). Mine is OK (I've already "rebuilt" it), but it will nice having a spare.

If you need one badly, you may no choice but to plonk down the big cash to get one sooner.

Back