• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes...WTF?

hjeepxj

#OCDINK
NAXJA Member
Okay, so I installed my 88 hubs, 88 rotors, new 88 pads on my 87 axle....the pass side worked out okay, but the driverside was draggin like a mofo! When installing them, I had to remove one of the shims I put on the pads to even get it in.

And since I drove it, I have to get new pads for that side.

WHY is this happening on the one side? Am I doing something wrong? Anyone have any info/advice?

Try checking the brake hose as those over time will collapse and cause problems. I had that problem on an older truck I had.

Best to go ahead and change them any way with something that old.

Good luck.

89LimitedXJ said:
Try checking the brake hose as those over time will collapse and cause problems. I had that problem on an older truck I had.

Best to go ahead and change them any way with something that old.

Good luck.

Already have extended steel lines...

I had one that had a slight tear in the dust cover, some water got in there and rusted/scored the piston well. It wouldn´t retract all the way, unless I used a large C-clamp to compress the piston, with the bleeder valve open. I usually noticed most with new pads.
Make sure the piston goes in all the way, when installing new pads. If the piston is in all the way and the pads still stick/hang, they may be too thick. Sanding off .030-.060", isn´t going to hurt anything.
I had one that I refilled with contaminated DOT 3, when the brakes would get hot, it would make steam and lock down the pads on one side.
Normal caliper piston, will compress fairly easily with the bleeder open. I usually use a large set of channel lock pliers. If the pistons are sticking, it usually takes a C-clamp. A little piece of wood behind the caliper, will help finding/making a flat spot for the C-clamp.
When the piston is backing off properly, you can slightly move the pads, when the brakes are released and/or pry them slightly open with a small screw driver. If you apply the brakes and release and the rotor doesn´t turn without significant drag, the piston is probably sticking (a slight drag is normal).
A bent caliper rod is always a possibilty, I´ve got a bent one now, but it doesn´t seem to bother the braking much, but have noticed the pads wear slightly more on one side than the other.
caliper should, move/slide on the rods. Have seen the teflon insert get crossed up and cause the caliper to hang some on the rods. Then one pad catches more than the other.

8Mud said:
I had one that had a slight tear in the dust cover, some water got in there and rusted/scored the piston well. It wouldn´t retract all the way, unless I used a large C-clamp to compress the piston, with the bleeder valve open. I usually noticed most with new pads.
Make sure the piston goes in all the way, when installing new pads. If the piston is in all the way and the pads still stick/hang, they may be too thick. Sanding off .030-.060", isn´t going to hurt anything.
I had one that I refilled with contaminated DOT 3, when the brakes would get hot, it would make steam and lock down the pads on one side.
Normal caliper piston, will compress fairly easily with the bleeder open. I usually use a large set of channel lock pliers. If the pistons are sticking, it usually takes a C-clamp. A little piece of wood behind the caliper, will help finding/making a flat spot for the C-clamp.
When the piston is backing off properly, you can slightly move the pads, when the brakes are released and/or pry them slightly open with a small screw driver. If you apply the brakes and release and the rotor doesn´t turn without significant drag, the piston is probably sticking (a slight drag is normal).
A bent caliper rod is always a possibilty, I´ve got a bent one now, but it doesn´t seem to bother the braking much, but have noticed the pads wear slightly more on one side than the other.
caliper should, move/slide on the rods. Have seen the teflon insert get crossed up and cause the caliper to hang some on the rods. Then one pad catches more than the other.

Whew! Thanks for the suggestions! :cheers:

Just hope I can find a solution before this weekend! :D

new caliper, 15 min fix....plus driving time, get one thats pre-stuffed and try not to warp your rotor...

Back