• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 ???

Danno

NAXJA Forum User
I have a MJ (1988) that I'm working on and I have a ?? about the rear D35. When I pulled it out to replace it I noticed that it had a hydraulic actuated lever arm mounted to the frame that went down to the rear differential. What the heck is that for? I know nothing about D35s as all I've own are 8.25, D30, 9 inch, etc.

That was posted here a while back, with a couple of pictures. Did a quick seach and could not find it but I remember it, eagle replyed to it though. Had something to do with dampning because the back end is so light if I remember correctly...

It's a load sensing brake proportioning valve. The back of a pickup is light, so it reduces the amount of pressure to the rear brakes when unloaded so the rears won't lock prematurely and cause spin-outs. As the bed goes down, it allows more pressure to the rear brakes.

Eagle said:
It's a load sensing brake proportioning valve. The back of a pickup is light, so it reduces the amount of pressure to the rear brakes when unloaded so the rears won't lock prematurely and cause spin-outs. As the bed goes down, it allows more pressure to the rear brakes.

Thats it, thats one of the reasons my wife HATED my S10, it did not have that kind of setup....

On most trucks the arm you are discribing controls the rear breaks. It causes the rear brakes to increase when there is weight in the bed. Or something along those lines.

My MJ has that too, it still works. I disconnected the arm since my lift height threw the angles off. Tied it up vertical and had WAY too much rear brakes, they'd lock every time. Horizontal works pretty good.

Back