• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ball joint removal/steering knuckle purchase

RNMedic

NAXJA Member #659
need suggestions. got the knuckles off and one of the balljoints broke off in the knuckle, gotta get it out, tried heat, cold, hammer, 2 sockets like ujoint no luck, or I need a good place to buy a new knuckle

RNMedic said:
need suggestions. got the knuckles off and one of the balljoints broke off in the knuckle, gotta get it out, tried heat, cold, hammer, 2 sockets like ujoint no luck, or I need a good place to buy a new knuckle
You say you tried heat. Please describe the type/amount of heat. Hairdryer? Propane torch? Oxyacetylene torch?

If the answer is not an oxyacetylene torch, you have not tried the maximum amount of heat. The max. of heat, along with a press, WILL remove the broken ball joint.

got a good press this am, but its raining and I started this outside as I thought it would be quick, but its going thanks, John

okay got the joints done but the knuckle is out of round probably from the repeated strikings with 4lb hammer. hub will not go back in, so need to purchase a used passenger knuckle asap, 88 xj

Back