• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Gasket Leakin Again

leadfoot77

NAXJA Forum User
2 Years Ago Before My Warrenty When Out The Water Pump Took A Dump, It Over Heated The Radiator Had A Crack In It And The Head Gasket Blew. Just About 2 Months Ago I Satrted Smelling Coolant And Then Noticed It Slowly Seeping From Gasket In The Middle Of Block On Oil Filter Side Of Block.im Thinkin The Dealer Tech Was An Idiot Not Knowing How To Torque The Head. Or The Head Is Junk They Said It Was Sent Out But I Dont Belive Them . Any Ideas??

Don't capitalize every WORD please... No exact way to tell whether the head/block/gasket is to blame... Take it apart and see...

Will.

leadfoot77 said:
2 Years Ago Before My Warrenty When Out The Water Pump Took A Dump, It Over Heated The Radiator Had A Crack In It And The Head Gasket Blew. Just About 2 Months Ago I Satrted Smelling Coolant And Then Noticed It Slowly Seeping From Gasket In The Middle Of Block On Oil Filter Side Of Block.im Thinkin The Dealer Tech Was An Idiot Not Knowing How To Torque The Head. Or The Head Is Junk They Said It Was Sent Out But I Dont Belive Them . Any Ideas??

Aargh- my eyes. Please lay off the caps.

So, this idiot tech's repair lasted 2 years. You let it overheat the first time, what else might you have done to your engine since then?

Someone needs to tear apart the top of the engine and inspect for cracks in the head, use a straightedge and check the surface for warpage, and so on. No matter what caused it, this needs to be done.

Whatever is causing the problem, you are well out of warranty with the dealer that did the work. A shoddy job would not last for 2 years.

If your 4.0 is a coil on plug version with the newer 0331 head, I think there's a fair chance that the head might have cracked. It's not uncommon for these heads to crack in the middle between the no.3 and 4 exhaust ports (where the head is hottest) when the engine overheats.
You might wanna check that out. If my suspicion is correct, I think it's high time DC did a recall on all the newer 4.0's with these heads because they seem to be junk.

Back