• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water leaking

Mike from Chile

NAXJA Forum User
My xj year 2000 AT, filters a little water that fall down to flor carpeting (when carpet is still vertical) just above/behind the brake pedal.
Want to investigate if its origin is below the grill that stands just where the windshield ends.
How do you take the grill out?

Tks

I have the same exact problem on my '91 and it put some rust holes through my floor that i had to patch, the water keeps coming through the rubber grommet where the hood release cable goes through the firewall right above the fuse box by the brake pedal. Can't seem to seal it up so i think i'm just gonna pull my carpet and put drain plugs in.

Eric

I just noticed a leak on the passenger side this morning close to the kick panel and looks like behind the glove box. I have n't been able to look any further, wife had to leave. Any ideas on where to start looking? It is a 91.

Thanks
Eric

my 99 XJ had a leak at the base of the windshield after a poor installation job.. it would piss water thru the dash behind the glove box and make a lake on the pass side floor.... hope this helps....
mike

Mike, the remove the panel you asked about, remove the windshield wiper arms (not just the blaeds, remove the arms from the posts, then you will see about 6 or 8 screws holding that panel (the "cowel") in place. It is plastic and with the screws removed it will lift up. A few people have found an open seam in the space under it.

The brake pedal is a possibility.

The condensate (water) drain line from the air conditioner sometimes becomes plugged and causes condensation to accumulate and drip into the passenger compartment, but usually this water drips onto the passenger's feet.

Last idea I have is that sometimes the windshield itself leaks and needs to be reset, or have special adhesive applied around it. This is easier with the old style windshileds, because you can remove the metal trim so seal the edge of the glass. You have the new style and the rubber gasket is attached to the glass before the glass is installed in the vehicle. If it appears this might be the problem, you would have to ask a dealer or an auto glass shop how to seal it.

Back