• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear lift

Mike from Chile

NAXJA Forum User
My xj year 2000 has a 3,5 RE lift + 2 inches spacer in the front and a shackle in the rear. Tires = 265/75/16
From the center of front wheel to the base of front fender it measures 23,5" and same procedure taken at the rear measures 21,5".
By the moment no vibrations experimented, but just a little wobble when bumps, probably because of longer LCA and UCA needed.
Question: If I raise the rear to obtain the stock angle of the body will the driveshaft angle cause Vibrations?
Thanks

you do know

the front fender wells are bigger than the rear ones right?? im not trying to be a smartass,, it just seems the way you are measuring would not be entirely accurate...??

The measurement method is correct.I assume by the numbers that this was an add-a-leaf and not full spring packs.My RE 1463's netted 5" and "never" sagged an 1/8".

Re: you do know

steveVA said:
the front fender wells are bigger than the rear ones right?? im not trying to be a smartass,, it just seems the way you are measuring would not be entirely accurate...??

Steve, he measured the way I told him to. This method is as accurate as any available (unless you have removed the stock flares) because it is not affected by tire size or tire pressure.

Over many years of many people measuring many XJs, it has been determined by consensus that the "official" stock measurements, from center of axle straight up to bottom edge of flare, are 17.5" in the front and 17.0" in the rear. Mike asked about the stock measurements a few days ago and that's what I told him. This is just follow-up.

Mike from Chile said:
Question: If I raise the rear to obtain the stock angle of the body will the driveshaft angle cause Vibrations?
Thanks

I think the answer depends on HOW you increase the rear lift. If you do it with new or different springs (or an AAL) that adds more arch to the springs, then the u-joint angle will be increased at both ends of the drive shaft, and there is a high probability of vibrations. If you extend the shackle, the u-joint angle at the pinion end will not increase as much, which might mean less chance of vibrations.

On the other hand, the longer shackles might result in the u-joint angles being different at the transfer case and at the pinion. This would cause the u-joints to operate "out of phase," which might be felt as vibration, or might remain silent but would cause the u-joints to fail more frequently.

To be honest, I hope other people will add their opinions but I think it may be a "try it and see what happens" situation.

ohhhhhhhh,, i thought maybe he was just measuring without taking into account that they were diffrent,, sorry,, my bad

Back