• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Four banger 5 speed MPG ?

hackedxj

NAXJA Member #1090
What kinda gas milage are you guys getting out of the 4 cylinder. I may have to pick up a cheap on gas daily driver and I don't want to have to get a toy car. just checking out some options thanks.

If you keep it stock you can expect to get around 25 combined. I have gotten as high as 30 on road trips with my '85 but it has been retrofitted with the tbi from and '87. However this year we regeared to 4.56 and run only 31s for now. My mileage dropped on a recent road trip to just over 20mpg. If you can set it up to run just under 3000 rpm at cruise you will keep the mileage up there however get used to crawling up the hills. Right now we're more around 3400 at 75mph. We're still dialing in the performance though and I am running somewhat rich. I think that I need a new fuel injector as the O2 sensor and coolant temp sensor were changed just before leaving. By the way I'm running a stage 3 cam and headers on it but they never affected the mileage. It was almost free power.

xjnation said:
89 2x MJ 2.5 4 speed about 26-27 combined highway town use

Mine's an '87 MJ 5spd, and it used to get about that as a 2WD. Post 4X conversion, I'm down to about 20-21 mpg but I've got the CAD shimmed/locked over, so it's all spinning. Not too bad, but I want to either disco the axle or pull the front DS and check my mileage then to see if there's any improvement. Also moved up to 235's from the stock 205's.
Jeff

Back