• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Blower -- Brush Replacement?

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have a heater blower that dies, and the replacement appears to now be on borrowed time. I thought I saw someone posting that they had replaced the brushes in their heater blower motor, but a search didn't turn anything up.

Has anyone done this? Does anyone know if it can be done? I just looked at the original motor, the one that's dead, and I don't see any way to access the brushes (assuming that it has brushes).

Doesn't ring a bell with me, but as you know it's not too tough to replace the blower motor. Anyone remember what some of the dropin upgrades are? Blazer motor, or whatever??

I just got a $5.00 replacment from the local junkyard.

I have done it few times: you can split open the motor by drilling or grinding the rivets which hold the 2 casings together. Replace the brushes and lubricate the bearings. Reassemble using small bolts, nuts and lock washers (#4 if I remember correctly).
Important: when reassembling the 2 casings, I install the bolts/nuts loosely and connect the motor to a battery in order to spin the rotor. Tighten the bolts. I found this is the only way to align everything back together. Otherwise you will have drag and slow motor.
Verify the condition of the rotor where it contacts the brushes, Most of the time, I found the contacts on the rotor are worn beyond repair.

Mar said:
I have done it few times: you can split open the motor by drilling or grinding the rivets which hold the 2 casings together. Replace the brushes and lubricate the bearings. Reassemble using small bolts, nuts and lock washers (#4 if I remember correctly).
Important: when reassembling the 2 casings, I install the bolts/nuts loosely and connect the motor to a battery in order to spin the rotor. Tighten the bolts. I found this is the only way to align everything back together. Otherwise you will have drag and slow motor.
Verify the condition of the rotor where it contacts the brushes, Most of the time, I found the contacts on the rotor are worn beyond repair.
Thanks. I thought drilling out the rivets might be the key, but didn't want to do so unnecessesarily.

Got a part number or source for brushes?

From what I have seen, the contacts on the rotor wore out before the brushes. Never had to replace the brushes. However, if in your case you actually need new brushes, your best source would be your local industrial electrical motor repair center.
I suspect your actual problem might be worn out / dry bearings, which need a little lubricant. This fix usually lasts about a year

Back