• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where is the scan location?

over2land

NAXJA Member #1171
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I have an 88 MJ, and a scan tool.

I can't seem to find the ALDL under the dash.

Where do I plug the stupid tool into?

(it's a 4.0L, manual, if that makes a difference)

Try looking under the hood, on the passenger side you will see either a black plastic splash shield(IF it still there) or two yellow plug covers. the one that you would use should be the large one, but I don't think you tool will hook up to it. If it does, could you tell me where you got one that speaks RENIX, because I have yet to see one at the parts house. TIA, Ren

Those yellow caps don't cover the scan tool connection, they cover individual ports for a conventional multi-meter. The pinouts for which holes to use for each sensor are in the FSM.

The Renix ECU scanner connection is under the dashboard and looks like a computer serial cable connector (probably because it is a computer serial connector.)

Are you sure about the port under the dash, because I have not seen anything like that in any of my XJ's except the '98

For an '88 MJ they are centered on the firewall near the MAP sensor, or they're on the left side of the engine bay (when looking at it from in front).

Don't compare the Renix to a '98. The scanner connection for a Renix is not a DRB-compatible connection, it's a serial computer connector. I believe it is on the passenger side, above/behind the glove box, but I don't have a $3000 scanner so I've never gone looking for it.

5-90 was working on a way to read those codes, so he probably knows for certain where the connector is. Drop him a PM ... and please post the info when you find it.

I was just posting what the Mitchell Manuals Online say--"Diagnostic Connectors: On center of firewall or on left side of engine bay." I didn't say what type of tool connects to it and I don't even know what kind of tool is used for Jeeps that old. Just trying to help answer the original question regarding the location of the data ports (unless ALDL actually means something different--I couldn't even find the abbreviation ALDL mentioned in the manuals I checked). Sorry if I posted bad info. or misunderstood the question.

dizzymac said:
Been hooking up othe Snap-On diagnostic scanner the the two ports on the passenge side of the eng. compartment, been working for me.

Yea, that's were I have connected to before. Also with a Snap-on scanner. Never used a DVOM on the connector like Eagle says he has... :huh:

Back