• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Wheel binding when turning

offrd3

NAXJA Forum User
hi i'm new to this whole forums thing, I need help, i jacked up the front of my jeep today and noticed when i had the wheels turned all the way one direction and tryed to spin the front drivers side wheel it would turn a little and bind up then pop then turn some more, the passenger side dosen't do this at all. The front axle u-joints were replaced not to long ago and the ball joints on that side too. i also just had 4:10's installed. I have't had it off road in a while and i just notced odd steering fellings when going around corners. this all started like a weekago, oh and the drivers side axle tube is leaking oil now. This is a 91 xj, auto, select tac, non-disconnect axle. help please, thanks

Welcome to NAXJA.

Sounds like a bad u-joint to me. Pull it apart and check the needle bearings.

Ok, i looked and felt the ujoints and theirs no play in them at all or in the ball joints. its almost like their in a bind, and the problem almost seems like its getting worse.

It still sounds like a u-joint even though you said they were recently replaced. Just because there is no play in them does not mean they are still good. I would say that one or two of the caps or the needle bearings for the caps have crapped out. What you discribe sounds exactly like what happened to me when my u-joint went. I also doubt that the ball joint would make this happen.

Good luck
katarn

hey matty whats happening, we gots to get our jeeps on the trails, dude cant wait till u build me that custom shit man. glad to see your u joint problems are over.

Back