• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

parking brake change?

over2land

NAXJA Member #1171
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
What year did the parking brake go from a foot brake to a hand brake?

My 88 MJ has the foot brake.

But, it's got a full length console with the spot (albeit not cut out) for the hand brake.

Can I swap to the hand brake assembly easily?

No change.

MJs have the foot brake, XJs have a handle.

No, you cannot easily convert your MJ. You can do it, but not easily. (If it were easy, I would have done my MJ a long time ago. I hate foot brakes.)

Doesn't the 99+ use a footbrake, or do they route the cable up to the driver's side framerail needlessly?

Yucca-Man said:
Doesn't the 99+ use a footbrake, or do they route the cable up to the driver's side framerail needlessly?
The XJ has ALWAYS used a handbrake, even on the later models where they rerouted the equalizer assy. over on the left side of the vehicle.

So the cabling goes to the framerail, and then back to the center? Okaaaaayyy....that makes sense
rolleye.gif

Yucca-Man said:
So the cabling goes to the framerail, and then back to the center? Okaaaaayyy....that makes sense
rolleye.gif
Yes, for some reason, on the newer XJ's, the cable from the handbrake lever routes over to the left frame rail, where it joins the equalizer assembly. The two cables coming out of the equalizer assembly then route separately to the two rear brake backing plates. The shorter cable goes directly to the LR brake, and the longer one goes across the axle to the RR brake.

I never understood the new PB routing scheme, but it seems to work OK.

Yeah, I've pulled the cables from the equalizer back, but never paid much attention to where they went forward from there. It wasn't my Jeep so I never drove it and paid no attention to the actual parking brake location. Seems like a lot of redesign work for only three years' use. That's D-C for ya though... :D

Sorry for bringing up an old message - maybe you guys have looked at it and seen. I'm wondering if i can convert my handle to the pedal.. I am an amateur operator, and that would free up a nice spot for my 3 radios.

How the heck did the police get their radios, etc in there?!
I haven't been able to find any pictures..
-Nick

Wow! I never knew so many others used their parking brakes as well!..LOL It's amazing how many people think the tranny is a giant kickstand....

pxs said:
Sorry for bringing up an old message - maybe you guys have looked at it and seen. I'm wondering if i can convert my handle to the pedal.. I am an amateur operator, and that would free up a nice spot for my 3 radios.

How the heck did the police get their radios, etc in there?!
I haven't been able to find any pictures..
-Nick

Well, the Police XJs had a column shifter instead of a center console shifter, that frees up ALOT of room.

MJ automatics (except the Eliminators) also used a column shift. You might be able to get the parts from a junkyard. Not an easy swap, though. The column shifts use a different instrument cluster with a P-R-N-D-L indicator built in, so you would need that and whatever linkage makes it know what gear has been selected.

There's probably no reason you can't use an MJ foot brake in an XJ. Cable lengths might be an issue, but nothing a creative young man shouldn't be able to work around.

My old man had an 86 MJ (probley how i ended up with an XJ) anyways his 86 didnt have the PRNDL in the panel like the later ones, it had it behind the stearing wheel ... i know this was some GM Saginaw design and you would see it on some commerical vehicles and panel vans but if you grab ahold of one of those era ones you odnt have to worry about the gauge cluster

Back