• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help removing interior panel on '01!

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
How do you fully remove the interior trim panel on an '01 that goes around the top of the front door, and down beside the windshield? I think some people call this the "A pillar", but I'm not sure. This is on the drivers side.

I was able to pull a few of the clips loose and move it part of the way, but I want to take it all the way out of the Jeep, and run some wiring behind it.

Yeah, that's the A pillar. On my 96, the trim piece is held in place by a couple of screws under fake-looking plastic buttons, as well as the grab handle. Have to remove those first, and if I remember correctly it was still connected to the trim piece behind it (for the B pillar) and may have had to be lifted up or some such...

Must be different on the '97+ models. There aren't any screws on mine, at least from what I can tell. Just some fasteners on the back that snap into the body. I can get those out fine, but I can't figure out how to free the end by the rear door, the end that goes down to the bottom of the dash where the knee bolsters are, and the area that goes near the bottom corner of the windshield.

I watched a windshield tech remove mine, he just grabbed it and pulled it away from the pillar. I about s#*t, but he assured me thats how it comes off.
Attaches back the same way, position it and give it a good whack. He must have bent a fastener putting it back though, now it rattles a little bit at the corner of the windshield.

In mid99 they did away with the screws that hold the A pillar trim in place and just used clips instead.
The rear of the trim piece (by the B pillar) will need to slide forward to be removed from the metal bracket that holds it -or- unfasten and slide the metal bracket back.
For the front area of the A pillar trim, in most cases it's easier to remove the dash panels to get the pillar trim piece out.

pr-Shop_Tools-Alltrade_2_Phillips_Screwdriver-resized200.jpg

Yeah, just get your fingers in there and pull straight out. I have a '99 and had the same question awhile ago. Kinda scarry at first, but it will pop out. When you replace it, make sure the metal clips are straight. They tend to bend a little when you remove it.

Back