• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what alternator?

xjfrancis

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 4.0L with a 12" sub and speakers, auxillary lights and a mile marker 12000lb winch with an optima red top battery. I'm looking to upgrade alternators. I heard 96's and newer have a higher amp alternator than other xjs, but I was thinking I need somthing better. Since I don't know much about alternators, what do you guys think would be the best alternator for me and which brand?

I don't think OEM ever came with more than 100A - but I could be wrong.

Anyhow, I'll continue to say this as long as rum and breath flow through my body - "Find a local shop and have them do it for you. You'll be able to deal directly with the man doing the work, and you can tell him what you want and know what you'll get before you get it. It's probably going to be cheaper, too!"

I haven't gotten a store-bought alternator or starter in five years. After going through three on the same truck in a month, I found a local shop and haven't looked back. I install his parts and forget about them - in exchange for which, I send him all the business I can.

My last 160A alternator cost me $60.

5-90

Most 96s came with a 117 amp alternator.

--Matt

I think stock was 90 amps. Some came with higher amps up to 136A or there abouts. There is a swap article around somewhere. I just bought a 150amp off of E-Bay for $85 plus shipping. Others were $119 and up depending on amps. The rebuild route sounds good though. I'm swapping around parts between years, so buying something outright made sense in my case.
Tom

Back