• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front hub bearing replacement

twardnw

NAXJA Forum User
So I found this link
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherok...ring/index.html
detailing the removal of the hubs, my question is, even though the hubs are 'sealed for life' is there a possibility a machine shop could replace the bearings for me? When I bought this thing, it came with all the bearings (new) sitting in a bag on the back seat. I'd rather use that than have to purchase new hubs, and my wallet can't really afford new hub assemblies right now.

I've had a shop replace the bearings before....the problem is by the time you pay for the bearings and the labour you're up to the cost of a hub unit brand new.

Fenco is now making hubs that are around $75 each.

Bender said:
I've had a shop replace the bearings before....the problem is by the time you pay for the bearings and the labour you're up to the cost of a hub unit brand new.

x2. I've done about 4-5 hubs (on the YJ's). Just pull the old ones off and bin them. Only thing i'd keep them around for is if i was going to use them as trailer hubs as i plan on making a trailer someday.

Bender said:

Already have all the materials, and a friend of our family has a machine shop, so it wouldn't be expensive, I'm just curious if I took it to them that it is just a press out/in type situation, doesn't sound like anyone (on here) has done or tried this yet. I guess I can try, and at worst I end up buying new hubs :( That'll mean I'm without the Jeep for a long time though. I'll let ya know how things go

When I had my rebuilt I just brought them to the machine shop with the bearings and asked them to install the bearings....I'm not sure how they did it.

twardozrally said:
Already have all the materials, and a friend of our family has a machine shop, so it wouldn't be expensive, I'm just curious if I took it to them that it is just a press out/in type situation, doesn't sound like anyone (on here) has done or tried this yet. I guess I can try, and at worst I end up buying new hubs :( That'll mean I'm without the Jeep for a long time though. I'll let ya know how things go
Look at the exploded views in the back of the Quadratec catalog. They show a view of how the hub/bearing unit goes together. Should be just a BIG press.

Ok, so I've been trying to just remove the hub that's there. At first I thought I shouldn't have even driven the thing to my mechanic, the 3 bolts that hold the hub to the yoke (I think that's what it's called) were all VERY loose, no PB or breaker bar required, just my 1/2" drive ratchet. But then I start trying to take the hub off. It will NOT budge. I've got pressure on it now with a puller, and will leave it overnight. Any suggestions how to get this thing to budge? I don't want to bust a puller, they're not mine. so here's how it sits now
jeep-05.jpg

Also, when I put the puller on I was able to move the axle back towards the differential, then I tried with my hand, and I was able to slide it in and out an inch or so.

out
jeep-02.jpg

in
jeep-03.jpg

is that a bad thing?

Damn, that sucker is corroded in there!! Once the three bolts are out, and the hub nut off (and it all looks like it is), it should literally just drop out.

You see the triangular part at the back of the bearing? Where the three bolts come though? Outboard of the brake backing plate? (BTW, put that back on the right way round during reassembly! Don't ask.)

jeep-02.jpg

You need to start tapping along the sides of that triangle to break the corrosion loose. Thats what is holding the bearing in the knuckle at this point. Once its out, clean up the inside of the knuckle with emery cloth or a soft wire wheel.

It really is just the usual Jeep solution. BFH!! :D

Other thing is. Dunno if you have the vacumm disconnect D30, but if you do, don't pull the axle shaft around too much. The outer axle seal doesn't like having the shaft seesawing through it. It'll leak after, and its the BIGGEST PITA to change!

I just did this job on my 89 Jeep Cherokee with 274K miles, be sure all 3 bolts are removed like you said, get a large hammer and start knocking out the hub, it's tapered and held in place with pressure, forget WD-40 get some PB Lubricant and soak it for at least 15 minutes and start pounding out the hub, you can also use a slide puller and tie into the lug nuts and knock it off, one side came out easy the other took a few hundred hits with the hammer to remove, do yourself a favor and buy new hubs rather than have those reworked, it's not worth it. It goes back together much easier, while you have the axles out spray protective lube all over the axle which probably have rust on them, be sure to use new cotter pin and torque the hub nut to 175 foot lbs, be sure to evenly torque the wheels to 100lbs so you do not warp the rotors, also this is a good time to replace rotors ($25 each) and brake pads, the allen wrench to take apart the calipers is 7mm. Good Luck, let us know how it turns out

Well, got em off finally, I ended up using a piece of iron and a sledgehammer, pounded on the side of the tabs the bolt holes were in, even at that it took a good 3 hours to work those things off. Got the new ones on there, tightened everything down and went for a drive

This is after the fact, but i went to Ace Hardware and got 3 - 3.5" long bolts with the same thread, metric something or other, cant remember exactly, threaded them in the three holes about a half inch like you are bolting it back up. Then I beat on them to knock the assy out (Per the great help on this forum i might add). Had it out in a few minutes. Bought the new bolts so i wouldnt bugger up the actual bolts needed for reassembly.

I painted those three bolt heads orange and put them in my seperate "jeep" tool box....he he. Seems like almost every job i need to make or buy something to eaze the pain of the jeep repair....BUT, you will have it for next time!!!

Cory

Back