• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sensor on 88 xj 4.0

rattler43

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if someone could tell me what the sensor is and what it does. It is on passenger side of block and has wires going to distributor. I cannot find it in my service manual at all. Thanks for any info. Don

Thanx Rainier, but what I would like to know is what the sensor on the block is called and what it does. It looks similar to the knock sensor on the opposite side of block, but has wires leading into the distributor. I don't understand what info it would pick up from the block. Anyone else out there to enlighten me. I betcha Eagle knows, as I think he has an 88 also. Thanks

Last edited:
I think the only sensor on that side is the oil pressure sender. It's not connected to the distributor in any way but it might share the same wire bundle.

Well, I just went out and looked at my own 88 (it's a five-speed, but that shouldn't matter...)

The Sync sensor is the three-wire job in the distributor.
The Oil Pressure sensor is near the base of the distributor, and has one wire.

The only other sensor I can find on the right side of the engine is the LPCO sensor (Low-Pressure Cut-Off) on the A/C reservoir - which obviously isn't part of the block.

I'm out of ideas - got a pic? There are a couple variations on the oil pressure sensor - and I think one of them may look a little like the piezo sensor on the other side.

Once again - I'm willing to trade information for information...

(Oh - I didn't see anything like that on my 87 or my 89, either...)

5-90

Thanks fellers, but unless I am getting senile, there is a sensor? coming out of the block on the right side and I think it has three wires coming out of it and going to the distributor. I have thought all along it was my knock sensor, until my knock sensor just got broken and I just now replaced it today. Had a heck of a time finding one and they are not cheap. Dealer wanted 102 dollars, but Napa had an Echlin one for 60. I will take a picture of it in the morning and try to figure out how to post it on the forum. Any help on posting pictures? Thanks Don

You'll need to have it hosted online somewhere, and use the image tags to link to it. You can post it to my RENIX group if you want (groups.yahoo.com/group/RENIXPower) and do it that way, or email it to me and I can do it. Either way, this sounds like something we'd better be sure of.

I find it odd that you'd have something there, when none of the three RENIX XJ's I have have got the thing. The only 3-wire CNX there is the one for the SYNC sensor in the distributor, that I can find.

Have you tried (gently!) moving any of the wires about to see where they go? Just don't pull too hard!

If you can't post and link, email the pic to me at [email protected], subject "Sensor Question" so I know what's coming in...

5-90

Thanks 5-90 Will take picture in the morning and email it to you, after double checking to see if I am seeing things that are not there. I have a 88 and 89 service manual and neither show it. Maybe I'm going bonkers, but I've looked at it several times. Never touched it though. Thanks Don

Well, slap my face and call me stoopid. I went out this morning to take a closer look at it and it still looks like it is acoming out of the block, but I reached down and moved it and it taint a sensor at all. It is just a connector coming out of the wiring harness going to dist. On mine it sits flush with the block at a right angle and appears to be coming out of block. Sorry fellers. I thought something was up when nobody else had a sensor on theirs. Sure hated to have to write this, but I can attribute it to old age, I reckon. Don

I see you "fingered" it out! Don't worry about it, then - we all do something silly from time to time. At least this won't come back to bite you!

I was just interested to see what had been added - with three RENIX XJ's, I just couldn't remember there being ANYTHING there like what you described, and it just had to be a kit of some sort...

5-90

Back