• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok here's a strange one

Darkmage

NAXJA Member #996
Just thought i would post this and maybe help someone else out.
Friends 96 jeep cherokee 102k 4.0 5 speed.... starts and dies immediatly.
Checked spark, fuel, iac, i even dug out my scope and checked the cps and found nothing :twak:

Now for the cause....... after much screwing around i noticed that after the truck dies none of the idiot lights were turning on, played around with it a bit more and finally figured out that the ignition switch was not returning to the on position after releasing it from the start position.
It would end up half way between start and on not making contact to either position so in effect i was starting the truck and shutting it off as soon as i removed tension from the key.

Hope this helps someone
Chris

Sounds like the bracket needs to be adjusted,plus make sure the rod is in the right place....think the rod is what locks n unlocks the column but not sure...

i had a similar problem to that the truck died immediately after starting it but after a long time figuring it out i found that the wires on the map sensor was lose so i pressed the wires on better and haven't had a problem since

Bias Resistor? You're not thinking of the ballast resistor located on the front driver's fenderwell near the airbox are you? That's not present on the 96 referred to by the original poster although that does sound reasonable for a Renix-engined XJ.

Back