• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny problem??

atticus032

NAXJA Forum User
I was wheelin' yesterday and when I started to climb a hill my jeep stopped moving and it kinda sounded like something slipped out of gear and was grinding.(sort of like when you miss a gear in a manual) At this point I put it in neutral (the noise stopped) so I put it in gear and tried again....same noise. After the second time I backed down, turned around and left...no more problems. This all happened around 7 and I had been out on the trail since 2 and even drove the same trail with out a problem. (It has made the noise one other time when I was just driving down the road. This was about a month ago.) Although, earlier in the day I was backing out of thick mud, so there was a load on the back tire and the right rear made a loud popping noise, I thought maybe I hit something so I pulled forward tried again and the same thing happend. However, when I would back up without any kind of resistance there was no noise/problem. Its a '96 xj w/ selectrack 4wd Could the two be related and has anyone every had this problem or know what it could be?

Sorry for the mini-novel of a question.

from the sound of it it's time for a rear end. pull the cover and look for metal in the bottom.

To start i would pull both of your diff covers and inspect for any large metallic crap and also drop your tranny and do the same. Once you do that fill all three items with fresh clean fluid. I would bet something is contaminating the fluid causing it to slip.

Let us know
pete

ya I know this is really really old but I can say that I searched!! I have a 90 I6 4sp auto that pops out of gear in R about 3/4 throttle 2 ot 4x4 hi in low it doesnt do it. could it be low line pressure??? or just need servicing???

Back