• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Line-x over the carpet?

thisfirstlove

NAXJA Forum User
so i wanna "line" my interrior with line-x or something like it but i dont really want it really really loud. Can i just put the liner over the carpet or is that just stupid?

Thanks

I don't think it would work.

Maybe you could just remove the carpet, do the line-x, then re-install the carpet?

be alot like painting a sponge......what's your goal behind the line X application?

Im a "mud butt" and my jeep lives for wet situations...im tired of the wet carpet stink and wet/dry vac every time i go wheeling. also i want a easy way to drain the floor when i go too deep...

Can't really have it both ways then....the carpet and pad helps insulate you from heat and noise, which you'll have to give up to line X and have a hose-able interior. Coating will insulate to a point, but you may want to throw in some dense foam pad or sheet rubber mat on top as psuedo carpet/sound deadener that you can take out and hose down.

You can take out carpet then put in the lineX then put in acoustamat in a many places as you can and in some spots two layers thick then lineX a layer or two over that. Should be fairly quiet and cool. The sound problem will be that you will have a hard surface instead of the carpet and the noise that does get inside will bounce around instead of being absorbed by the carpet.

Are you joking??? Why would you want to Line-X your carpet??? 1st Line-X is expensive and I really doubt that a tech would do that, but if you got the $, they probably would. I always take out the carpet of my Jeeps that I wheel. I don't like it in there and I just deal with the increased noise level. I would suggest getting the Herculiner kit from Kragen, Pep Boys etc for $80 or so and doing it yourself. I have done 3 XJs and 3 YJs in Herculiner and love the stuff. You can always put the carpet back in, but I doubt you will. I just Herculined mine and even left most of the drain plugs out. You can also get the rubber mat that the police XJ used. That should keep the sound level out better and it should work better in the wet stuff than carpet.

what I did on my jeep was I pulled out the carpet and layed down a couple of layer of Peal and Seal (found in the roofing dept. at stores, this stuff is exactly the same as dynamat.) then after that I sprayed down three cans of truck bedliner. It truned out great, it wasnt to lound but it did get warmer. I did end up reinstalling the carpet just because I didnt like just looking at a ugly black floor.

You donn't say what year your XJ is, but hit the junk yards. A ton of the early low end XJ's had rubber flooring, not carpet. It cleans up real good with Castrol Super Clean and you can keep the sound deadening as well as having it pretty mudproof. You can't submerge it, but it will handle muddy boots and the like with no issues.

Back