• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mobil Clean 5000 oil

CaptTrev

NAXJA Forum User
Went shopping for 10W-30 yesterday and noticed a fewnew entrants into the high-mileage/extended oil change interval market.

Does anynody know anything about/have any experiences with this Mobil Clean 5000 oil? IIRC it was about 2.49/qt. - putting it in the middle range of the oil spectrum (price-wise)

also noticed the new Mobil 1 EX. or extended life....IIRC the package said good up to 15,000 miles!!!??
regular Mobil 1 used to be at the top of the food chain....now this EX product has taken the lead position (price wise anyway)

I am interested in comments on any of these two products.

CaptTrev

Well, if you look closely you would see that the 5000 mile oil is labeled as a conventional oil. The next oil, 7500 or whatever, is labeled as a blend, and the 15000 is a full synthetic. My guess is nothing has changed, other then Mobils marketing, and the bottle.

I would guess the Mobil 5000, is just the same old Mobil Drive Clean oil that they have been selling for years.

My son just tried the mobil high milage blend in the 'new' 89. Seeks OK, we will see how well it cleans the valve train out.... he's watching the dipstick and getting prepared to change the filter if it gets dirty fast as it cleans.

been readin the facts on the mobil oil line. sounds like really good stuff, 7500 and 15000 mile oil has way more cleaning agents and alot more of there SuperSyn. Probably worth the extra price, I know as soon as the Napa i work at has it, i'll be running it.

Gene MJ

Snarky said:
I wouldn’t waste my money on any of that extended life oil. But if you do buy it, don’t leave it in your truck for 15,000 miles! No matter how long it says it will last, it will get dirty, and you will have to change it about every 3,000 miles!

Sure it will get dirty... that's what the filter is for. I run valvoline synthetic and I change the filter ever 2500 miles, I do this twice before I change all the oil. So the oil lasts about 7500-8000 miles in the jeep and I have had no negative effects to speak of... been doing it for 20K now.

Getting dirty is mot my main concern because, as was mentioned above, there is a filter for these things to get most of it out. The thing that keeps me changing my oil at no more than 5000 miles is the fact that water is one of the products of combustion which tends to get past the rings in small amounts. This water, if not 'boiled' off by driving for a while, can mix with the oil and turn the oil acidic, eating the bearings. So, I change it for that reason, since I tend to make short trips on occasion and I'm not sure that it all evaporates out of the crankcase or not...

Back