• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusting bolts??

TBCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Was wondering if anyone knows a good way to keep trim or lic. bolts from rusting. I know more replace them and by the next week they start rusting again?
Especially the door jam trim plate screws! any suggestions!
thanks
TBCherokee

There are two choices: use stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts, or use antiseize on anything on the outside of the jeep. I use antiseize on everything with ordinary bolts, and have few problems (and they salt the roads here in the winter). The stuff is pretty amazing.

Thanks! will try antisieze
had some body guys tell me stainless would rust ? but i thought that was the hole point of being stainless?
thanks again!
TBCherokee

Good stainless or brass. You can apply a little lacquer to bolts if you are so inclined, and a little never-seez on the threads won't go amiss...

Most everything I put together where I've got to worry about rust (trim, exhaust, and other low-strength stuff) gets brass hardware. If it holds up to saltwater, it holds up to anything you'll toss at your XJ...

Is it just me, or has stainless been getting cheap lately?

5-90

Back