• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ lift options...dilemma

GI-John

NAXJA Forum User
A buddy is in need of a new axle for his 86 MJ.

MJ axles are few and far between and he is considering just getting an XJ axle and rewelding perches.

Is this a difficult process for the mildly inclined? I think it's just a matter of rewelding perches and shock mounts.

He has a 3" lift and does not want to do a spring over.

Any suggestions?

TIA

John

I think he'll be fine as long as he has a little welding experience. You just make sure the perches are centered side to side and check your pinion angle. I did a spring over so I was able to set the perches on the top of the axle thread some ubolts through loosly and rest the weight of the truck on the springs to see where it would sit. I then twisted the axle till I had the angle I wanted and marked where the perches were. Then lifted the truck back up and welded the poo out of it. So side to side and pinion angle are all he really needs to worry about. It's easy.

marcus

Where is this friend? There are MJs all over the place. I just heard of three "new" ones in a pick-n-pull yard near Philadelphia, last I knew there were half a dozen or more in a yard in RI, and Harry's (near Paragon) usually has a row of MJs available.

He's down here with me in Ft Knox.

His axle seems to have a few problems with the right shaft backing out 1/2 to 3/4" (35 non c-clip). After a trip to the stealership, (and of course, lots-o-bucks, the problem persisted.

At this point he just wants to get rid of the axle because of a Dana tech bulletin on pre 91 ring gear bolts (too short, and backing out)

I've steered him here today, but I'm unsure if he'll come and stay.

John

When will you be in PA next, and how much of a hurry is this guy in? We might be able to find someone who could grab an axle out of one of the MJs in the yard near Philly and hold it for you. No guarantes on ratio, however. I haven't seen them, but I saw a couple of MJs there last Fall and I was told three more just came in. One of them ought to match.

Don't know what this deal is about ring gear bolts. Most of my fleet is pre-91 and has Dana 35 axles, and I've had no problems. Sounds like another one of those urban legends to me. How the heck can an axle from a non c-clip Dana 35 back out 3/4 of an inch? It would have to destroy the retainer plate to do that.

Eagle,

Due to my scheduleI can only take leave 2x per year
(the norm is summer/winter)
and would not be able to get back until around christmas.

There seems to be an abundance of XJ's but very few MJ's (and axles)

I'm gonna keep trying though.

The stealership couldn't figure out what retainer plate to use, ordered 2 different types, and charged him for both. This was a while ago, in a different state, so it's his loss. I'm just trying to help figure it out.

As far as the ring gear bolt thing, he found it on the dana site. I'll try to get a link for everone.

Thanks.

Back