• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

next to nothing REAR BRAKE PROBLEM

MuddyMudSkipper

NAXJA Forum User
89 XJ D44 front 8.8 rear
NEW master cylinder/brake lines/calipers/pads/rotors/drums/shoes/wheel cylinders
system bled 5 times, still have little to no rear braking power!!!
changed the master twice and the proportioning valve with junk jeep that the brakes were working on, still little to no rear brakes!!!
what the heLL is wrong!
help please

what master cylender?

the stock XJ MC might not be moving enough fluid to push the new calipers... they are HUGE compared to the stock caliper pistons...

New drums?

Is the 8.8 disc brake, or drum?

he said new calipers/pads/rotors so i tihnk its a disc. It is true about the bigger brakes but it still should respond to some degree. Maybe the brake lines are shot. Could try some new lines in the rear.

Bmxpunk1369 said:
he said new calipers/pads/rotors so i tihnk its a disc. It is true about the bigger brakes but it still should respond to some degree. Maybe the brake lines are shot. Could try some new lines in the rear.

good call - did you check your hard lines?

I had that problem after I installed my 8.8. Turns out the calipers were installed upside down (reversed right to left). This allows an air pocket to remain in the caliper that cannot be bled out. If that's your problem it's an easy fix.

yup probably the calipers are upside down that is the problem I see 8 out of 10 times. make sure the bleeder valve is at the top. If thats not are u running the stock prop valve and booster? If its the stock valve it will not move enough fluid to work the rear brakes very much at all. might try removing the oring in the prop valve and see if that helps.

this is a problem with the REAR DRUMS fullsize axles, D44 front has new caliper/pads/rotors :)
I will try the proportioning valve thing as that is what it seems like, the rear isnt getting enough fluid pressure

drums suck in general probably just need adjusted though

MuddyMudSkipper said:
this is a problem with the REAR DRUMS fullsize axles, D44 front has new caliper/pads/rotors :)
I will try the proportioning valve thing as that is what it seems like, the rear isnt getting enough fluid pressure

Drums, yeah, I knew that....

Back