• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing steering column cover?

ColoCherokees

NAXJA Forum User
I'm replacing the dash bezel in my 96 from a break in. In order to get the new bezel on, it seems as though I need to remove the plastic "box" that covers the steering column. On the underside of the box, there are two fasteners tucked deep in pockets - how do I undo these? They almost look like they take a hex key, but I couldn't get a hex key to bite. Do these take a hex key or some other type of bit?

In short, how the hell do I get this box off without destroying it?

Thanks,
Matt

Well, the bolt in the middle that's not in a pocket took a torx and I tried that bit, but couldn't get it to hook up either. Looking up at the fastener heads is a tough view, and as far as I could tell, almost looked more like a rivet with a dent or something. If someone can confirm that these other bolts are torx as well, I'll just give it the ol' college try.

To get my cover off I used a normal torx screwdriver and it worked fine, you just can't fit in one of the screwdrivers with interchangeable bits. Once you take the 3 screws out you may need to wiggle the two halves to get them apart, they kind of pop together. With those off you then need to remove the gray plug for the electronics on the left side of your steering column. You may not need to do it, but I had to for my 95 to get the panel in there without bending and breaking it. If you do need to remove it the easiest way is to get the screw out of it is with a ratcheting box-end wrench, but you can also get it with an adjustable or whatever you have that you can get on it. Once you get the screw loosened you can unplug it and push it down out of the way to gain some extra room to manuever the new bezel panel in. HTH!

Thanks for the tips. Do you happen to remember if the screws in the "pockets" were the same size torx as the middle one? Time to make a trip to Sears for some torx screwdrivers.

ColoCherokees said:
Thanks for the tips. Do you happen to remember if the screws in the "pockets" were the same size torx as the middle one? Time to make a trip to Sears for some torx screwdrivers.

Yes they are TORX and IIRC something like a 15 ? But get a set so your covered.
Wayne

Back