• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which tire will wear best on a DD?

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at getting one of these tires for my DD, which also sees some trail use:

BFG A/T or M/T
Goodyear MT/R
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo
Interco Trxus M/T

I know these tires are meant more for offroad use, but which do you think would give me the longest treadlife from being used on a DD?

I'm not personally a fan of BFG's. They're a hard compound, heavy, poor wet traction, blah blah, just my opinion. But, my brother had a set of 31-10.5 AT's on his XJ. He ran them for 80k and sold the Jeep with them on it.

Flat out for longest wearing tires, Dunlop Rover AT's. Darn things last forever and can be frustrating to own when you are waiting for them to wear out so you can upgrade and have too much scottish blood to not wear them down to the bars...The BFG's are pretty good though now I do not quite so much hiway driving. They do need to be rotated or they get 'bumpy'. Any of the MT's are a bad selection for a DD.

Friend had the BFG A/T's (I bought my own recently). Drove them every day to work, every weekend on the trails in Utah. He got 65k out of 'em before going for a larger size after his lift. I've had mine for 4 months and haven't noticed any poor wet on-road handling over street tires. They also make NO noise. Local price for 31's is approx. $500.00 for 4 (in VA).

I've always heard that any AT will outlast an MT. For a DD, you might want to keep that in mind. That being said, I just upgraded my DD to a more serious offroader. A trusted friend at a local shop sold me a set of Buckshot MT's because they do OK in the mud and supposedly last a LONG time on the road.

Maybe I can let you know in 50K miles :)

i currently run 31in BFG ats, on my daily driver / weekend trail rig. i bought them in june last summer. they are still in excellent condition and i do alot of back and forth driving on the highway from georgia and savannah. definatly a good tire and excellent traction on the trails in michigan and swamps of georgia, good luck man. note. i bought mine at sams club for $110.00 a tire and they mounted and balanced them for free with in (company policy) the hour.
CPl Maier
Getting out in 27.

im gonna have to go with the majority here, i had some BFG A/Ts on my old truck, when i sold them i told the kid they were pretty much new and he was like "yeah, i can tell" I didn't have it for very long, but i did spin those tires on multiple occasions... As far as wet-traction goes, i thought they sucked personally. There were times when i had to fight to get traction with them, but that could also be because they were on a 74 chevy and with no weight in the bed on a stepside it was easy for them to spin. In the snow i had trouble too, but thats also cause they were 35X12.5" tires.

On my jeep i have 32X11.5" ProComp M/Ts and thats my DD, however i can see how most people wouldn't want them on a DD. They are definately a LOT louder than the BFGs and they seem a bit softer so i doubt they will last nearly as long.

I had three different sets of BFG ATs on my Cherokees and they were long-lived and very capable in most weather and terrain although they suck major in mud. Then again they aren't mud tires so that's to be expected.

i have 12,000 miles on my BFG all Terrain's this year alone, and they are 2 years old. I bought the jeep witht them on it - and will prbably put them on a stock jeep once i get the bling to go to the 33" MT/R's....

which stock jeep you ask?

whatever my sister hasnt totaled yet...

I have the Bridgestones. Flat out awesome tire. Completely suck in the heavy mud, but great road tire, or for light trail duty. Wonderful snow/wet traction. I have about 16k on my current set, and I still have tire tits in places.

Nothing against the BFG, and I haven't used the Interco.
But, I will NEVER, EVER run another POS Goodyear. Trash, absolute trash.

I have the Revos and they are a much better all around tire than my BFG A/Ts were but the BFGs wore very well I just hated their wet traction. On road there is no comparison to the Revos and the Revos compare very favorably to the BFGs offroad. I can't yet comment on how well the Revos are going to wear but I've put almost 20K miles on mine and they still look new. This really surprises me since I drive pretty aggressively. They have a 50K mile warranty on my 235s, I can't remember if the BFGs do or not.

I have 33" Trxus MT's with about 42K on them and probably get another 10K to 15K easily. I rotate them with every oil change, 3K-5K and keep them at pressure, 30f/28r. They are past their trail-use tread-depth, but far from the wear bars. Definately going with the 35's when these wear out, though if I get a DD/tow rig by them, I'll just step up to a set of tsl's, SSR's or something more aggressive.

Back