• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case skid

Aggie05

NAXJA Forum User
Well I was going to build a custom t-case skid but I can't find any metal for cheap enough to warrant the work involved. So should I go with rusty's or skidrow since they are pretty much equivalent in price.
Kyle

Ive looked a little but my plans call for a piece that is about 40" long by 12" wide and 1/4" thick. Kind of hard to find a piece that big at the scrap yards and they want $77 plus tax for a plate that is 4' x 8' and I have no one to go in on it with me.
Kyle

I have Rusty's skid and its definitely strong enough. I've hit mine a couple of times and it was only scratched.

A few people on another board I frequent got the Skid Row plate and were not happy with it. They didn't like how low it hangs down - apparently it is designed to be used with a transfer case drop.

In your design were you planningon just doing a flat plate or adding some form to it. You may consider using, SQ/Rect Tube or channel with some flat bar. Using differnt shapes you can get away with 3/16" material and save weight too.

I know plates can be expensive, and they probably added a cut charge. You can also ask the for a remnant that is close to the size you want, they should give you a better break. If not, see if you can find a diffferent yard, some deal with the public more than others.

A lot of places sell cut down plates. A 2'x4'x1/4" plate is ~$30 where I usually get my steel, Wylie Steel. Wylie isn't too far from you, but you could probably find a place closer.

Either will work, just get one.

I put the Skid Row tc skid on mine. It's a nice piece. If I drove the XJ off a cliff today it would probably be one of the few items left that I could re-sell on ebay tomorrow. I'm sure Rusty's and most any of the other aftermarket skids would hold up pretty much the same.

According to them it's designed to fit with or with-out a tc drop, I sure don't see a problem with the clearance on mine, it's exactly level with the crossmember (??). Find the right rock out wheeling and you'll scrape, bang, crunch, bash any number of items under the old cherokee. That's what armor's for. :)

I've got a Skid Row tc plate on mine without having lowered the transmission and case. It looks like it will hold up to just about anything, but it's lower in the rear than the front. I'm wondering if this could cause some problems if I have to back up over something. Maybe there's a way that I could bend it or relocate the 3 bolts that attach it to the transmission crossmember in order to level it out.

I have a Skid Row plate on mine and I took it out for its first trip last weekend to Tellico. It took several hard licks and works great. Wombat has one too and it has taken 3 years of abuse. It does hang down a little low though, so to each his own.

Back