• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

snorkel head advice...

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
building my own snorkel and I already know how I want to run the abs tube up the body, but I am not sure yet what I want to use for the snorkel head...I have thought of making my own but want the finished look....below are two of my top choices, one the actual arb snorkel head $55, and the 2nd a tractor breather cap $12....let me know what you think about each...I prefer the 12 dollar top because I am low on funds but can swing the 55 If need be...

1- http://store1.yimg.com/I/cruiserconnection_1833_17369178

2 - http://www.tractorpartsinc.com/breather_cap_c5nn9a660b_3409_prd1.htm

If your xj is a beater like mine (I don't care what it looks like I am building it to be functional) go with the $12 head. If yours is "nice and pretty" spend the money. I am going to build my own snorkle and I had not reseached how to do it but I will keep that tractor one in mind. If you can post some pics and how you built yours, I would like some ideas. If you can't post pics on here let me know maybe we can do it through email. If you don't mind.

unless you do a WAAAYYY better job than 99% of the ABS snorkles I've seen you may as well go with the tractor cap. It really doesn't look too bad.

Only + of the ARB is that you get a bit of a ram air effect with it which helps overcomes the air loss of running through the long tube at higher speeds.

Oh I'd totally go with the tractor head! One, fashion after function. Two, think of what a great conversation piece that mushroom would make! :laugh3:

haha thanx guys for the advice, I agree about the tractor piece I think Im gonna order It and If I dont like It I can always return It, but I never thought about how It will take in less air at high speeds....think this will create any problems? loss of power, air flow?

There will be a reduction of air flow, but only testing it will tell you whether you still have enough air or if you will lose a bit of power when you go to pass at highway speed.

Here's what I'm using for a top. It's rubber air intake for a boat, I got it for about ten bucks. I put the wire screen in it and dyed it black. It's going to mount flush on the cowl on the passengers side.Found some nice plumbing for it , should work out fine. For water crossings or heavy rain it will rotate backwards.Some of the places I wheel would leave a conventional type snorkel sucking on a tree limb.
47b5da22b3127cce90aff5580b3c00000016109AYuXLdy2ao

hackedxj said:
Here's what I'm using for a top. It's rubber air intake for a boat, I got it for about ten bucks. I put the wire screen in it and dyed it black. It's going to mount flush on the cowl on the passengers side.Found some nice plumbing for it , should work out fine. For water crossings or heavy rain it will rotate backwards.Some of the places I wheel would leave a conventional type snorkel sucking on a tree limb.
47b5da22b3127cce90aff5580b3c00000016109AYuXLdy2ao

I want to see details on how you did it when you are done, or is there a write-up you are following?

Hell, I was such a cheap bugger when I made my twin snorkel setup for my 400 chev powered Hilux that I used pvc pipe and flower pots for the top!! No one ever even picked it and should ever one be ripped off, ( never did BTW ) less than $2 got me another ;)

Hilux36.jpg

Back