• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering crack/pop noise??

1993xjwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
hi, im pretty new here but just had a question i was hoping you could help me with. i have a 93 xj and for some reason when i turn my steering wheel it makes a pop/crack noise.

It seems that it is definately not in the steering column but rather outside possibly the steering box? it does it both ways but usually does it more when turning the wheel to the left?

By the way, I have 31s and do have the c-rok steering reinforcemnt on there. Before i had the c-rok i just had a steering box brace, but now with the c-rok i took off the brace. It does it both now (with c-rok) and before (with just steering box brace) and i believe it did it before i had either.

Any ideas to what this could be.

Thanks

I chased a clunk in the front end of my 94 for over a year. One of the weldnuts on the axle end track bar bracket had broken loose, and the bracket was shifting slightly.

ChiXJeff said:
I chased a clunk in the front end of my 94 for over a year. One of the weldnuts on the axle end track bar bracket had broken loose, and the bracket was shifting slightly.
I know mine isnt a clunk....Its a sharp crack. Sounds like a seized up ujoint or something but its not.

My guess is frame side track bar bracket is loose from the frame, it's very common. It'll make a creeking pop sound in both directions. Might be the aluminum spacer broke inside the frame at the steering box.

hmmm....definately know that its not a spacer in frame for steering box. I just now put in new spacers for the c-rok kit and new bolts. Like Dr. Moab said mine is also a sharp crack noise.

Interesting though about the trackbar. I was adjusting my drag link for centering my steering wheel today and noticed my whole track bar has some play? it moves like forward and back probably about 3-4 inches or so?? is that bad, maybe it could be what thats from. Wierd though, its not a clunk but a crack, pop noise.

well....maybe im being stupid. maybe its not the trackbar actually. its what the steering stablizer is connected to and where the drag link is to adjust your steering wheel? it pivots on both ends. its not the trackbar.

I'd first check the steering box bolts and insure they are tight... then see if things quiet down.

If you are talking about the part that connects steering box pitman arm on the top side, the steering stabilizer bolts through the middle, and down to the pass side at the wheel...that is the "drag link."

The "tie rod" connects that drag link to the driver's side wheel.

If you have a lot of play in these parts, popping is a good indicator of wear.

BUT

As the steering wheel is turned from center... and as the axle moves up & down, the tie-rod can get close to the diff cover (do you have a diff skid ?) and the axle end track bar/stabilizer bracket. In other words, are these pops happening while the Jeep is turning flat/smooth or is the axle travelling... like going from a flat/level street, up or down into a driveway with a gutter. Painting on a bit of typing correction fluid or nail polish can help ID spots that are interfering...

no, the noise is actually usually only on flat surface, on road. so i dont think it would be from axle travel. occassionally i do hear it wheeling but it is usually on street. and it is a pretty loud noise.

i do have a diff skid from 4xdoctor, but i really dont think it is hitting it and like i said its usually on the road.

I'm sure the steering box bolts are tight, cause i just put on the c-rok steering reinforcement kit. However, it did do it before i had it on there as well.

Any other ideas, i would like to get this figured out, its been doing it for probably about a year or so now, and its getting really kinda frustrating.

Thanks again guys.

My cherokee had a similar noise coming from the front end. I had my cousin move the steering wheel back and forth while I was under the front end to try to locate the source. From what I could tell, it was coming from the track bar mount location on the axle.

I have since converted to a Toys by Troy crossover steering setup which includes all new heavy duty tie rod ends, aluminum drag link, and aluminum track bar. No more noise. Bumpsteer is practically eliminated also.

my front end has a similar problem. the bushing in the frame end of the trackbar is worn out. there isn't that much play in it, but there shouldn't be any. this makes a loud pop/crack/clunk noise when i turn on pavement. moreso at lower speeds than on highway. i checked by having someone turn the wheel back and forth while i checked all the linkage. try it.

Strange -

I would check out all these components for wear as well, but my experience with the same kind of noise turned out to be a bad front U-Joint. Replaced it and have eliminated the noise.

Worth checking out while you are under there...

I have had two different popping noises from the front. Both were track bar. The first was at the axle mount. I guess it just got loose. Is it worse when it rains or when you drive through deep water? The water used to act like a lube and make mine move and pop more.

The other was the bracket the track bar mounts to on the frame. It took a hit once and started popping from then on. I finally remedied it with an RE track bar. If your front end ever hit anything at speed, like a ditch or a jump (previous owner of course) then its a possibility.

HarveOut-

sorry to rob this thread, but yeah, i get a similar noise, most noticible when i go from a dead stop and turn right away, like when i come out of a parking stall or turning left or right at a stop sign. if you've ever gotten bored enough to hit your rotors with a hammer, it kinda sounds like that. you cant feel it in the steering wheel when it does it, so i've been stumped since i've gotten the jeep. i'm not too positive, but isnt the track bar mounted onto the axle? so if i'm on flat pavement and i turn, it shouldnt really move, right? so maybe my problem isnt a track bar if i'm correct in assuming that it's on the axle. i donno, i'm stumped.

My track bar being loose has caused this noise, as well as a loose/bad tie rod end, I've also had a bad ujoint cause it.

Having fixed all that it stopped for a while until I hit a bump in a creek bed, now the track bar is loose again.

I've also heard of the bolts on the track bar bracket coming loose and making noise as well as the steering box. Could be a lot of things.

53guy said:
sorry to rob this thread, but yeah, i get a similar noise, most noticible when i go from a dead stop and turn right away, like when i come out of a parking stall or turning left or right at a stop sign. if you've ever gotten bored enough to hit your rotors with a hammer, it kinda sounds like that. you cant feel it in the steering wheel when it does it

Same exact situation here

hmmm....i guess i will have to check out the track bar a little more then. i checked it the other day and it doesnt seem to have any play or anything.

no, ive never taken a "real" hard hit to the front from a ditch or jump or anything, just average stuff wheeling.

It seems actually to maybe be louder when its dry, maybe tires get better traction and creates more drag/resistance? And finally, im pretty sure its not my u joints, just replaced them pretty recently and they seem to have no play as well.

Any other suggestions are welcome, right now im thinking maybe track bar? thanks

Back