• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noise in 242 tcase

jb98xj

NAXJA Forum User
For background I have 98xj, 4.0, auto, w/ 242 case, 3" skyjunker and 1" tcase drop. Lately I have been noticing a noise, not really a grinding noise, but a friction noise while in 4wd, coming from the front around the tcase area. Doesn't seem to matter if it is fulltime, or parttime, and it is the loudest when I am not on the accelerator. I have had this setup for about 40K, seems to be getting a little worse a time goes on. Any Idea?

always a guess diagnosing sounds on the internet, but I am in the process of rebuilding a 242 right now, and both my main case and parts case had front output bearings that had more than 1/16" of play in them. That would be a good place to start...

You can replace the chain just splitting the case in your rig. To rebuild it, you'll need to pull it to get to the front input bearings and seals.

I had a really nasty noice in my 242 just as you described. I figured my t-case was on it's way out so I bought a rebuilt one. After installing it and going for a test drive it still made the same noise. As it turns out, when I had my gears put in the front axle, they were set up wrong and making one hell of a noise but never while in 2wd. I then had the gears redone by a more reputable shop the next time around. Problem solved.
I must of had about a dozen mechanics tell me the noise was in the t-case before I swapped it out. :mad:

My 242 was making a similar noise whenever I put it in 4x4. I put in a new chain and it took care of it. I did the chain swap with the t-case still under the Jeep. If you search the internet you can find a place that sells the chain for under 90 bucks. Hopethis helps

Back