• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5L Rebuild advise needed......

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Anyone with any experience with these motors? I was thinking of getting a rebuildable engine (read cheap here) and a rebuild kit. Priced one kit at $310.00 from Northorn Auto Parts. Have not hit the local parts houses yet or the stealership. Any sugestions on where to get a good reliable master kit? I priced a long block and it was $1200.00! So what I'm looking for is a sugestion. I want to bore it, and put my stage 3 cam in it. Are there any known issues with the 2.5L like the 4.0L. I read somewhere it does not like to be bored and has cooling issues when it is bored. I have not done anything yet but I know the compresion is low on 3 of my 4 cylanders and would like to get the ball rolling. Any words of advice would be greatlly appreciated. Also, I kinda want to do it myself bc of $$$ and the experience of rebuilding an engine. Something I have always wanted to do. Call me crazy but its something I want to try......

I have run them bored .060 with absolutely no problems. The thing that does sometimes give problems is the head. They can develop cracks. Also I would not rebuild without sleeving the valve stems. They tend to wear out fast and it doesn't cost all that much to do it right. I picked up a 3 row GDI radiator from 1-800-radiator when I did my rebuild. It cost me approx $120 shipped overnight.

By the way, your harness/pumps/coil are on their way. LOL

Tom Houston
Loveland, Colorado

Awsome! I got the Intake, TBI and Dist. From Hoss yesterday! Kudo's to you guys! And this awsome sight! I wnat to bore it that much actually just not sure who has the best bang for the buck kit!

Yea, that was it.

I priced a Master Kit at NAPA, the shop manager of my dads shop in Florida recomended them, and it was about $400.00 and looked pertty complete. That does not look bad either but he told me to look out b/c some co. will send different bearings from different co. Me I would like to have consitancy and not a hodge podge of parts.

I agree.

Can you assemble the block and kit yourself, or do you need to take it to a shop and have it balanced?

Most kits don't involve a new crankshaft, and with the new rods and pistons, will everything work out?

Back