• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lower control arm rubbing

SpicyMustard

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '92 XJ w/ RC 3" lift and my tires (31X10.5X15) rub quite a bit when I turn. I read on an XJ forum awhile ago you could switch stock control arms out w/ grand cherokee control arms. If I can do this, what years should I be looking for? Thanx.

Keep in mind that messing with the steering stops will cause you to lose some turning radius and if what you said about rubbing quite a bit, messing with the steering stops may not give you enough. I have 33 x 12.50s and mine rub on the left side only so, unless I have to, I don't turn it to the lock on that side. As far as grand cherokee control arms, someone else is going to have to answer that.

John in Greece just asked me about using WJ control arms to reduce tire rub. I vaguely recall that there were some issues with the bushings being a different width, and having to modify the WJ arms to use them in an XJ. I can't find a write-up but like SpicyMustard I remember reading something.

Does anyone have any information on this, or a link to a write-up?

TIA

Thank you

SpicyMustard said:
I have a '92 XJ w/ RC 3" lift and my tires (31X10.5X15) rub quite a bit when I turn. .

I have the samething on mine and that's because I have the stock rims ,if you buy aftermarket rims with the different backspacing that will bring your tires out and you could turn with no rubbing.

SpicyMustard said:
I have a '92 XJ w/ RC 3" lift and my tires (31X10.5X15) rub quite a bit when I turn. I read on an XJ forum awhile ago you could switch stock control arms out w/ grand cherokee control arms. If I can do this, what years should I be looking for? Thanx.

Let 'em rub....it won't hurt anything. I thought they always rub. :)

Goatman said:
Let 'em rub....it won't hurt anything. I thought they always rub. :)

Except you get that embareassing farting noise :passgas: when driving around in parking lots

Back