• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

slippage

Dreamer

NAXJA Forum User
Ok , not sure what is going on here but maybe someone can help. I have a '90 XJ w/ many miles on it. I noticed the other day while driving in the snow in 4wd high that every now and then the front slips and pops. It feels as if the front axles are losing power when I here the popping noise. Any answers out there. What are we looking at new hubs?

What's your transmission? It's difficult to say unless we know the ins and outs of the car, what surface conditions are like etc. Are you actually on snow, or on a road with snowy patches, for example?

Ok let's see, sorry this is my first XJ, I am a former TJ owner. It is a 6 cyl. w/ 5 speed manual tranny. Road conditions, packed snow, good traction. The hubs are locking because I would not make it out of my drive with out 4wd. When it happens most is when I am on a slight inclinein around 3rd or 4th gear.

Used to happen with my 96 all the time, even with around 50K on it. Every now and then the front axle would lose power and then come back with a "POP!" or a "BANG!" Especially under high torque situations like turning on hardpacked snow and givnig it some gas.

Adjusted the linakge and it still did it. that would be a good place for you to start though.

Never figured out what was going on but I suspected issues inside the t-case on mine. Hope yours doesn't have that going on.

narrowed it down to front drive shaft slipping in and out of 4H no matter what the road conditions are. Any suggestions? One minute it is in 4H and the next I hear and feel a POP in the front driveshaft and I am pretty sure it is simply disengaging but I do not know what is causing it to do this.

Littlewhitexj said:
i had a similar problem, i replaced the shift fork in the vaccum thingy on the axle, took care of it.

"Vaccum thingy" is that a technical term in the manual I overlooked? JK. So the shift fork took care of the problem, where in the axle is this located? And how much money are we talking here?

prolly about 20 bucks, its on the pass. side of the axle, hard to miss, has vacume lines running out of it, like 4 bolts to take it off, or you could ditch the ehole thing and replace it with a one piece axle shaft.....

Back