• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i got one

maineiac

NAXJA Forum User
picked up a 8.8 from a 2000 exploder for 300 bucks, only one ? thare is an electrical connection on the front of the pumpkin is this for abs? and will it be ok if i just dont use it ?

Yes, ABS port, do not use.
Have fun and remember to weld axle tubes to housing.
I know of two guys that ran their 8.8 "upside down"
and gently shaved. Wish I had known this.HTH

Upside down? It would spin backwards! I call SPOBI.

thanks guys i cut off the perches this afternoon man those things are beefy compaired to the d35 perches. the dust shields on mine are bent do i need to replace them or can i just cut them off ?

Reading comprehension problems? Running any axle upside down will result in the tires spinning in the wrong direction.

sorry brain dead today im headed next week end to a wrecking yard a few hours from here they have a special 29.99 u pull it in axles so lol im concentrating on what to look for and so far the axles im seeking are as follows ...8.8 disk ranger or exploder, gm s/f 14bolt, mj/xj d44 and yoter rear axles.

I think he means you can run the housing upside down, but not the 3rd member. IIRC, the bolt patterns on the 3rd members are symmetrical, so you could turn them upside down. Doesn't an 8.8 hae a flat spot on top??

Re: i got one (a dana 44)

I wasn't aware that the 8.8 had a 3rd member. i have always had a problem with this axle being a little narrower than the 35. i don't know why. but a bigger issue is having the pinion 2 more inches to the right. it sure is beefy though..still haven't decided what i want. does anyone know about the other 8.8s out there as far as pinion offset and width?

renegade_z71 said:
sorry brain dead today im headed next week end to a wrecking yard a few hours from here they have a special 29.99 u pull it in axles so lol im concentrating on what to look for and so far the axles im seeking are as follows ...8.8 disk ranger or exploder, gm s/f 14bolt, mj/xj d44 and yoter rear axles.

an 8.8 out of a Ranger is about 6" narrower than your current rear end and has 28 spline shafts = only a slight upgrade over your current 27 spline

Explorer has 31 spline shafts... - that is the 8.8 that you want...

the gm 14 bolt is HUGE compared to the Ford 8.8 - that is a true 1 ton axle and unless your running 36" tires or over - the loss of ground clearance isnt worth it.
It is larger than a d60 IIRC...

you want the 95?+ Taco rear end from a v-6 taco with 2wd -
anyhing with out "tacoma" on the side will be to narrow to mount under stock leaf springs - leaf springs would have to be inboarded to run these rear ends...

the MJ and XJ d44's are good axles...

more reading here

Dan Turner said:
I think he means you can run the housing upside down, but not the 3rd member. IIRC, the bolt patterns on the 3rd members are symmetrical, so you could turn them upside down. Doesn't an 8.8 hae a flat spot on top??

the 8.8 has a fixed diff - like a d35, 44, 60... it does NOT have a removeable diff like the toy 8" or the ford 9"

it is a C-clip rear end...

Back