• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it better to pull from the front or rear?

Rear..... your rear axle R&P is a lil beefier
make sure the rear can handle it tho... (hitch or adequate tow point)

hitch would be optimal

rear hitch = much stronger than any tow points

also your trans is built to move forward with a little big of backwards there from time to time... - it is stronger in the forward direction...

pull from the ass if at all possible...

XJ_ranger said:
rear hitch = much stronger than any tow points

also your trans is built to move forward with a little big of backwards there from time to time... - it is stronger in the forward direction...

pull from the ass if at all possible...
x3 - It's better on the ring+pinion anyway..

Actually, I think it depends on what the situation is. If you’re on a trail and you get stuck, its best to pull you out in the direction that you are traveling so that you can continue forward, and not have to go through the mess you got stuck in again. But if your just messing around and don’t care where your going, I would recommend the rear axle if you don’t have a hitch, or tow points. I don’t have any tow points or a hitch, so I’ve been pulled out many different ways. My favorite way was from my front sway bar; I know that’s not a good place to pull from! But we were desperate because my axles were buried in mud. :D

Snarky said:
Actually, I think it depends on what the situation is. If you’re on a trail and you get stuck, its best to pull you out in the direction that you are traveling so that you can continue forward, and not have to go through the mess you got stuck in again. But if your just messing around and don’t care where your going, I would recommend the rear axle if you don’t have a hitch, or tow points. I don’t have any tow points or a hitch, so I’ve been pulled out many different ways. My favorite way was from my front sway bar; I know that’s not a good place to pull from! But we were desperate because my axles were buried in mud. :D

Ditto, you pull out from which ever angle give you the safest most consistant force on the stuck rig

If you doing the pulling, and its a hard pull, go with the rr.. That said, I've pulled backwards alot also. Sometimes you just can't turn around where your at to make the pull. Not that it makes a huge difference, but a low pinion frt. is actually running on the stronger side of the gear in reverse.

Snarky said:
its best to pull you out in the direction that you are traveling so that you can continue forward, and not have to go through the mess you got stuck in again.

That doesn't really hold true if your 10 ft. into a 100 ft hole. I've been there and gone both ways.

What everyone has said is prety much true.

Just do yourself and your Jeep a favor and if you have to pull someone out using reverse, keep your wheels straight as much as you can ;)

If your going to get stuck you should always have proper tow points. Pulling from your sway bar is not the best idea. Might get you out, but what happens when it breaks and it hits someone? Always be safe :flipoff:

Starboard M said:
If your going to get stuck you should always have proper tow points. Pulling from your sway bar is not the best idea. Might get you out, but what happens when it breaks and it hits someone? Always be safe :flipoff:

agreed and I have both now.....but thanks guys that makes sense

You guys are talking about two different things. Some posts are referring to the rig doing the pulling, and some posts are referring to the rig being pulled out. When you are pulling someone else, it is always best to pull from the rear.....you going forward. Many front axle u-joints have been broken from pulling in reverse. For the rig being pulled, it makes absolutely no difference as far as the rig is concerned, you pull the direction that is going to get them out.

Back