• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny question...

gapirate72

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an 87 Comanche 4.0 with one of those quirky French Tranny's BA 5/10. What the heck are the size of the bits for the drain and fill plugs on this thing. Tried to drain it myself and got tired of buying different ones so I took it to a local mechanic and they did not have one to fit it in the entire shop. I hate to take it to the Jeep stealer I mean dealer. Just like the French... being hard to get along with. Thanx.

Garrett

It's metric. I don't recall the size because I've had the tool for so long. I use a square drive wrench that I bought back in the early 80s to work on Renaults when they were affiliated with AMC. The tranny wrench for the Renault LeCar happens to fit the BA 10/5.

It's 8mm square drive. If you can find a 5/16" square drive, it may work (haven't tried, but the sizes are close...)

I got some cheap 8mm hex keys from the local hardware store, and knocked down opposite points to make it fit an 8mm square. Took about 10 minutes with the die grinder and a vice. Key itself cost about $2.

Make two or three - they have an odd habit of going astray...

Damn French.

5-90

I took an old 3/8s ratchet extension and ground the end a bit to fit.
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

Back