• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

As soon as I get the Jeep out of the water what do I need to do?

JEONLYEP

NAXJA Forum User
Well I sank the Jeep today. It's in the water as I type, but my buddy with a winch is on his way over.

What's the first things I need to do once it's out of the water?

The water level is about mid head lamp/just over the bottom of the seat.

91 XJ stock 4.0 auto

First and hopefully the last time it's in water like this.

Yes I know, photos will be posted later.

Thanks

Daryl

Did it die IN the water? If so look for water in the engine, check the intake, maybe pull the plugs before cranking.

Either way..

Look for water in all fluids, diffs, trans, xfer, oil. Bottom of the seat is pretty deep, you will need to pull and toss the carpet...its trash, after that, rinse it out with clear water and adopt a find and fix attitude.

Good luck.

Rev

I shut it off as soon as I reliezed that I wasn't going to make it out the other side. going to get it out and pull the plugs and air filter before I try to start it. And change all fluids this weekend. I'll report back soon. Winch crew is here now.

Anything else to look for?

Thanks.

Daryl

Only got 2 pics before the batteries went dead in the dig camara. The recovery crew had a disposal carama, and those will be ready tomorrow.

Some set up is nessary to explain how I got there.

There is ditch going into the river (which is alomost always dry). There is a trail the follows the river and crosses the ditch. It had been raining all morning. I decided to run the trail in the afternoon. The water running in the ditch was only about a foot deep. As I try to cross the ditch I don't make it up the other side, and can't back up enough to get the speed needed to get out of the ditch. So I get turned with the ditch and was going to drive out the end into the "dry river bed" I knew there was a bit of a hole at the end, but didn't think it was as deep as it was.

water1.JPG

water2.JPG

after winching it out I pulled the air filter and it was wet in the bottom of the box. But the filter was still dry.

Started it up and drove it home. pulled the drain plugs from the floor boards.

and yes the carpet is going to be replaced with some type of bed liner.

Thanks for all the advice.

Daryl

Rev Den said:
Worth repeating---

THROW THE CARPET OUT....YOU CANNOT SAVE IT.

Rev

after this my carpet is still ok... granted my jeep wasnt in long enough to make a post on NAXJA and then get back to it...

you will have to pull the carpet out right away, flush it with a ton of pure water and then wait 1.5 weeks for it to dry... a good steam cleaning did a lot for mine...

also flush the alternator with distilled water - the silt and little bit of mud in there tends to kill them... and flushing helps save them some times...

XJ_ranger said:

And I was about to PM XJ Ranger to see if you wanted to met me at Manhattan this Sunday. (Saturday is my g-ma's 90th b day.(she's havin' a party)) She's about an hour away from there.

Daryl

That sucks... atleast you can add it to your list of "bet you haven't done this with your XJ"... How much water got into the cab?? Hope everything works out well...

Will.

JEONLYEP said:
And I was about to PM XJ Ranger to see if you wanted to met me at Manhattan this Sunday. (Saturday is my g-ma's 90th b day.(she's havin' a party)) She's about an hour away from there.

Daryl

ill be working on this
on sunday, which to me is a ton more fun than wheeling tuttle...

ill let you know if anything changes though...

xjwillyb said:
That sucks... atleast you can add it to your list of "bet you haven't done this with your XJ"...

Yep, there is that.

xjwillyb said:
How much water got into the cab?? Hope everything works out well...

Will.

It was over both front seat bottoms by about 2 inches. (inside photos tomorrow.)

Daryl

XJ_ranger said:
ill be working on this
on sunday, which to me is a ton more fun than wheeling tuttle...

Looks like fun, someday I'm going to be doing that. (HP44 and 9" 76 or 77 f-100 or f-150)

XJ_ranger said:
ill let you know if anything changes though...

Well the XJ is parked untill fluids are changed.

Daryl

I blew the tranny in my 98 ZJ' last year getting stuck like you. I didn't have any tools with me and it was Memorial Day weekend and I was far from home. I also blew the motor in my 91' YJ in deep water. Water is very bad for parts. I have heard of taking out your spark plugs and shooting the water out of the motor. Just check all your fluids and stuff very good. My carpet was fine once it dried, it was clean water.

Troy

Big Red said:
I blew the tranny in my 98 ZJ' last year getting stuck like you. I didn't have any tools with me and it was Memorial Day weekend and I was far from home. I also blew the motor in my 91' YJ in deep water. Water is very bad for parts. I have heard of taking out your spark plugs and shooting the water out of the motor. Just check all your fluids and stuff very good. My carpet was fine once it dried, it was clean water.

Troy

Well the drive (and the walk home) is only 3 miles. The motor took no water thru the intake. And the tranny gets an oil change or two.

planefixer said:
Damn Daryl,you trying to start up your own western Kansas Navy(riverine patrol)? :eek:

Well since there isn't ever water in the river out here (except today), I thought it sounded like a good idea to take the opportunity to try out my water driving skills (fail)

The funny part was after we drug it out, and determined that the water hadn't gotten into the intake it started right up. On the way back to my place the Scrambler that winched me out wasn't running right. The driver did some puddle jumping on the way out, and got water in the distributor.

I was four feet deep in the stuff and her's didn't work after going thru 10 inches. (at 30 MPH)

Daryl

I got my rig stuck in some water that deep once, here's the damage it did:

1) filled front and rear differentials with water.
2) filled transmission with water
3) filled transfer case with water
4) my carpet was wet, I shop vac'd, was fine except for bad smell for a week or so.
5) speakers on door were fried.
6) A tiny bit of water will not hurt engine....it ran funny for a couple of minutes after I got out, but went away.
7) radiator was full of water....just kiddn, lol. good idea to flush though(MUD)
8) my starter was full of water. It froze all that winter, but then all the water evaped after that summer. I just hit it with a hammer all that winter to get it to start.
9) My alternator went out that spring after this happened. Lots of corrosion. My XJ only has 35,000 miles on it.

some things you might want to be aware of.
Brian

Back