• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion nut and Yoke

yeah i have been wondering that too. i have lost the preload twice in my d-30 in the last 1.5 years. non crush sleeve style. i tried a pipe wrench with no luck last time, couldn't hold the wrench ,air gun, all at the same time, kept slipping off. think i'll try a bigger wrench and a cheater pipe if needed.

I didnt jack mine up at all. IIRC they were about 18" long, but with about a 4.5" lift it helps. If I were going to jack my Jeep up, I would just use jackstands with wood blocks under them.

I went to napa and bought a spanner wrench, though you could make one just as cheaply. Uses the u-bolts/strap bolts to hold a spanner wrench in place, then just let the wrench wedge upon the vehicle or floor, depending on rotation. No slippage like with the pipewrench, a decent 20.00 investment.

I built a yoke tool out of some 1x2 tubing!

If you get a big enough pipe wrench, or a cheater on the pipe wrench, you just lock it against the ground with rotation of which way your going. then big breaker bar with cheater on the same side pushing down towards the ground. all this being done with xj on the ground.

LouisianaZJ said:
why couldn't you just chock the wheels and leave the jeep on all 4 wheels w/ the e-brake

would this be bad for the gears?

With a breaker bar big enough to break the pinion nut free, it will spin the tires. Trust me, my leg almost got run over trying this the first time. It is hard to imagine that you can spin the tires with the ebrake on and the tires chocked, but you can.

ok so heres how i did it. i went into the yard got a cinder block, insert the yoke into the cinder block. attach the correct socket to the nut with an extender through the cinder block. put on your rachet and a 4 foot pipe on the ratchet handle..commence to standing on pipe while holding ones self up with jeep until nut breaks free(about 3-5 seconds) also use pb blaster freely, i know, redneck as all hell..but it worked w/ the axle in and with the axle removed (2 different axles).HTH

LouisianaZJ said:
why couldn't you just chock the wheels and leave the jeep on all 4 wheels w/ the e-brake

would this be bad for the gears?

what about the Ford 9" carrier.... that is out of the axle...

Back