• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help- no a/c!

artmo

NAXJA Forum User
98 cherokee-6 cyl. had system recharged last fall. lasted 2 days. before i spend the big bux at the dealer i thought i'd try a can of leak stop and recharge it myself. bought the stuff and the filler kit-hose,gauge,etc. directions are not very clear on the can. should i use the stop leak entirelybefore the can of recharge or do i use a partial can then recharge and then top off with stop leak? a guy at pep boys told me to do it this way, but i better get the experts opinions on this board. thanks. art

artmo said:
98 cherokee-6 cyl. had system recharged last fall. lasted 2 days. before i spend the big bux at the dealer i thought i'd try a can of leak stop and recharge it myself. bought the stuff and the filler kit-hose,gauge,etc. directions are not very clear on the can. should i use the stop leak entirelybefore the can of recharge or do i use a partial can then recharge and then top off with stop leak? a guy at pep boys told me to do it this way, but i better get the experts opinions on this board. thanks. art

I'd avoid using stop leak products if it were my decision. Doubtful they will work and I'm not convinced they won't cause more work down the road. Best bet is to use an electronic leak detector to locate and correct the problem once and for all. Tracer dye is another option but I've never been convinced that is effective for AC systems. Engine oil leaks, sure.

Anyway, if you are still interested in trying a can of "hope" or stop leak, put it in before charging the system.

Back