• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Idea?

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep is making clunking noises when I make sharp right or left U-Turns. Read all the posts and thinking it is probably U-Joints. Also harmonic Balancer is cracked and squeezing out. Finally clutch barely disengages with pedal all the way to the floor. Here's the problem- Need to take it on 600mile road trip friday(4wd will be needed for snow) Is this a bad idea? I drive it every day about 5 miles but been afraid to hit the long road. Will doing this severely damage anything? I am already planning to replace the above mentioned parts as soon as I get time so I don't care if they get worse, but I don't want my wheel falling off on the freeway either. Sorry for the newbie question...Thanks...

truckeejeeper said:
My Jeep is making clunking noises when I make sharp right or left U-Turns. Read all the posts and thinking it is probably U-Joints. Also harmonic Balancer is cracked and squeezing out. Finally clutch barely disengages with pedal all the way to the floor. Here's the problem- Need to take it on 600mile road trip friday(4wd will be needed for snow) Is this a bad idea? I drive it every day about 5 miles but been afraid to hit the long road. Will doing this severely damage anything? I am already planning to replace the above mentioned parts as soon as I get time so I don't care if they get worse, but I don't want my wheel falling off on the freeway either. Sorry for the newbie question...Thanks...

Harmonic balancer would give me the biggest worry but not far behind the other known issues. I might just be an old fart but the years have taught me to not take chances with faulty gear. There is NEVER a good time to break down on a road trip. Heck, those are just the things you have noticed and there could be more you haven't.

I'd get busy and perform some quality servicing/repairs before taking a chance.

XJXJ said:
Harmonic balancer would give me the biggest worry but not far behind the other known issues. I might just be an old fart but the years have taught me to not take chances with faulty gear. There is NEVER a good time to break down on a road trip. Heck, those are just the things you have noticed and there could be more you haven't.

I'd get busy and perform some quality servicing/repairs before taking a chance.

X2

check your clutch fluid level in a while?

low fluid in the M/C will give a soft pedal...

Thanks for the info. Fluid level is fine. Bled clutch and it was great for about a day, then when back to the way it was. I guess I'll take my other car but its just always so much better in a Jeep...TJ

Back