• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP60 disc brake ?

XJHOX

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to start a new project, using 60s out of a 79 ford. Does anyone know whats involved with putting (front)GM disc brakes on the Ford setup? If I remember the GM stuff is alot smaller than the 2 piston calipers used on the Fords. I'm trying to stay w/ a 8 lug wheel but trying to use a 16"x8" wheel. Live in PA so no chance of staying full width. Thanks

Are you sure a 16 won't fit over those calipers? I could have sworn that most of those came with 16's stock.

Parts Mike sells a caliper bracket that uses 1/2T GM calipers. It's been a while but I believe they worked on the Ford knuckle also. From what I've looked at the 16's won't fit over the standard GM caliper without a bunch of grinding.

I have not tried to fit a 16" wheel over it yet. Just because I cant find anyone that has a 16" 8 lug wheel that I can use to try it out.

I think it might have come with a 16.5'' wheel. I know on my HP 44 its a tight sqeeze with the 16.5'' wheel. When I figure out what tires I am going to run, Im going to see If I would be able to get a 15'' wheel over them. Ive heard of people doing it, but it requires a lot of grinding.

Yeah I know there are people that have fit a 15" wheel, but I'm looking at useing aluminum wheels not some steel wheels. I think all of the older stuff came with a 16.5" wheel. I know they are close on that, so I can only imagine how it will be with a 16" wheel.

Back