• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio, instrument panel, and interior lights are all blown

donovanb62

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a relay that handles the instrument panel, the interior lights, power locks (with remote), and radio. When I pulled my interior lights to start trying to put in an overhead console, I seemed to have grounded something or shorted it somehow and lost all of the above. I replaced the 5 amp instrument fuse, but that didn't help. I don't know else to do. Any ideas?

If anyone cares, I solved my own problem by doing a google search and finding an obscure page that suggested the instrument panel and power locks are on the same fuse in the PDU under the hood. So I pulled every fuse and found a bad 15 amp that I replaced and fixed the problem. Turns out the interior lights, power locks (with remote), radio, and instrumental gauges run through this same fuse in my 2000 XJ. Hope this may help someone else in the future...

LOL! I did the same thing when I installed my overhead, twice. After I checked all the fuses and found they were good I cracked open the owners manual. There it was in black in white. PDC #17 (I think it was 17, I can't remember right now :D)

btw, welcome to the forum!

You didn't mention what year,but if it's an 89'then the problem could be the
chime module.
Module is located (on the 89')on the left side of the fuse panel.
It controls the buzzer you hear when you leave the keys in,seatbelt not connected.....yadda yadda yadda.
Pull the module,put another fuse in and see if the inst pnl lights work,along w/radio,if they do then that is your problem.
Removing the module,there is a release tab to the left of the module,and removing the module DOES NOT AFFECT ANYHTING other than the buzzer.
Buzzer=
Lights on
Key in
Seatbelt
If you want to relplace it,I think it's a dealer only option,so that means $$$$$
how much I don't know,I had the same problem about 1.5 yrs ago and it cost me $130.00 to find out it was something I could of done myself. :mad:
If you pull the module and then find out that inst pnl STILL doesn't work then your issue is in the wiring somewhere and you will need to start tracing with a multi meter or have some do it for you.

Is that the teal colored round module on the bottom left side of the interior fuse block? Cause my tail lights and instrument lights haven't been working for a long time, and if it's something that stupid (I can't find the friggin short), then I'm gonna fill my pants. Come to think of it, I don't have an interior buzzer when I leave the doors open or lights on so hmm...Now I'm interested...

freewithfire said:
Is that the teal colored round module on the bottom left side of the interior fuse block? Cause my tail lights and instrument lights haven't been working for a long time, and if it's something that stupid (I can't find the friggin short), then I'm gonna fill my pants. Come to think of it, I don't have an interior buzzer when I leave the doors open or lights on so hmm...Now I'm interested...

Could be,mine was a light blue...mine opened up and there were 2 posts wrapped like coils...one had came loose and was touching the other causing a short which blew the inst fuse....why the tail and interior lights didn't work.....well,it is a JEEP ya know so anything would be possible :laugh3:

OOPS just noticed you said ROUND the module I took out was about 2" wide
maybe 3" long and maybe 1" thick had plastic hinges on the back side.
There is a release tab to the left,the only way you can remove it from the fuse panel....module should be length wise up the side of the fuse panel

Last edited:
Who knows,pull it and see what happens,but iff little gremlins come out and kick your butt don't say I didn't warn ya :laugh3:

Should be 2 round ones

1 for the turn sigs

1 for the flashers/hazards

I gotta pic of one somewhere between the front door and the back door of the house IF I can find it I'll e mail or put it up here....

Back