• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing the wood trim dash panel

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the middle of trying to take off the wood trimmed dash panel in my '96 XJ

I have all the screws out of it, and it can freely move. The only thing is that the big plastic part that surrounds the hazard light button will not let the dash panel come free. I've been trying to bend it around it, but I'm scared it will break.

Are there any tricks to taking this piece off, or will I be forced to remove the steering wheel surrounding?

Thanks

Its a real PITA with the 95-96 steering column. You took those torx screws that hold the plastic trim on the steering column off right? Once those are off you have to be really careful not to scratch it and just mess with it till you get it out. There's really not a good way of doing it you just have to play with it for a while. Getting it back on without scratching it is even more fun, mine has a small scratch from a metal piece on the steering column. Be carefull a new one is a couple hundred dollars. :rolleyes:

I have a '96 also, it is tough to get off. Tilt the wheel all the way down. Under the steering column are two torx screws, remove them. Unscrew the lever for the tile wheel and pull it out. You can now take off the two halves of the plastic surrounding the column. You should be able to pull the top of the panel toward you and then lift it out. I had to bow it in a little bit to get it to clear the column but it came out without breaking it.

Actually, I believe there are three screws that need to be removed from the column surround in order to remove it. I haven't pulled mine in awhile, but at least two of them are Torx. Once that's out of the way though, the dash panel pulls off as described by PearlCountry.

Of course this just has to be such a pina.

At least I can jusify buying a new set of torx drivers. I have a full set for 1/4" and 3/8" but they wont reach up in the holes.

Back