• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recall ?

Atl XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was dealing with Jeep on another matter and they told me that I needed to register my Jeep with them for recalls, etc so I did and I have a recall on it. They said it is for the brake/shifter interlock-- Recall #733. Does that sound like something important? I hate being without my Jeep.

TSB 733 was issued in Sep 1997 as a Safety Recall to install a Brake Pedal Shift Interlock. In other words, it keeps you from shifting out of Park without pressing the brake. I'd tell ya to
google.gif
but that led me back to NAXJA anyway...:D

Not very important and I wouldn't even put it in unless you have children. The recall replaces the brake interlock pin with a stronger one so that you cannot shift unless you press the pedal. I myself like being able to shift without pressing the pedal. Basicaly if you pulled hard enough you could break the original pin and could then shift anytime you wanted.

ryurabbit said:
Not very important and I wouldn't even put it in unless you have children. The recall replaces the brake interlock pin with a stronger one so that you cannot shift unless you press the pedal. I myself like being able to shift without pressing the pedal. Basicaly if you pulled hard enough you could break the original pin and could then shift anytime you wanted.

The recall does not replace the original interlock operated by th button on the shifter. It adds a completely seperate interlock that operates via a cable connected to the ignition cylinder, and a solenoid on that cable that is triggered by the brake switch. I performed literally hundreds of these recalls.

where would i register myself to find out if my 98 has any recalls? is there a list on recalls for 98s?

I called my local dealer and they said they can fix it in 1-1.5 hrs so I made an apointment. They are one of the few really good dealerships so I believe them when they say they can have it in and out. Its probably not that big of a deal like most have said but I have the day off Friday so its not a big deal. Thanks for the responses. :D

I remember talking to a dealer rep a few years ago about the 94 ZJ I used to own, he said that "repair" was done on mine already before I bought it. I made some crack about being able to live without that, and the rep pretty much said it a pain the in the neck to have. Wasn't come up with for people who weren't smart enough to turn off a 4.0l that was idling about 3k instead of putting it in gear and killing themselves?

So I took the Jeep in this morning and they fixed it within a few hours. They did say that there were two things wrong with my Jeep, the exhaust manifold is leaking (shocker) and the speed sensor on the transmission is leaking. I already knew that the exhaust manifold was leaking and I'm not sure about the speed sensor, I'll have to take a look at it. Anyway, I was really impressed by how professional and cooperative they were. It just goes to show how it really makes a big difference what dealership you go to.

Or you can go to Jeep.com and under the owners section you can enter your vin # and it will list any recalls you have on your Jeep

Atl XJ said:
I called my local dealer and they said they can fix it in 1-1.5 hrs so I made an apointment. They are one of the few really good dealerships so I believe them when they say they can have it in and out. Its probably not that big of a deal like most have said but I have the day off Friday so its not a big deal. Thanks for the responses. :D
Why, if I may ask, did you use the word "fix"? Your XJ isn't broken. They are asking you to let them install another thing to malfunction, and when it malfunctions it can prevent you from driving your vehicle.

Let me expound, in my usual verbose manner. Some members know that I spent the winter in Chile, my wife's native country. Cherokees are ungodly expensive down there, as well as rare, and she doesn't like them anyway so we bought a used Kia Sportage to drive when in Chile. On our initial road trip, we lost all gauges, torque converter lockup, and automatic shifting of the automatic tranny. But we were still mobile -- until we reached the next town and parked the vehicle.

Right -- it has a shift interlock. Which is on the same circuit that malfunctioned. Once we were in Park, it was NOT comng out of Park. We were stuck for three days while multiple mechanics tried to figure out either what had gone wrong or, failing that, how to bypass the interlock. In the end, we ripped the console apart and defeated the interlock mechanically.

IMHO you should consider yourself fortunate NOT to have this thingie, cancel the appointment, and spend that hour and a half having a beer with your friends.

i clicked on the CANADA above... and it took me to the recall site:p ... it doesnt...

Eagle said:
Why, if I may ask, did you use the word "fix"? Your XJ isn't broken. They are asking you to let them install another thing to malfunction, and when it malfunctions it can prevent you from driving your vehicle.

I see your point, I never looked at it that way. I debated on whether or not to get it fixed but I decided to since I drive my niece around in it a lot and shes young and I thought it would be good to do it rather than wish I'd had in case something happened. The chances are pretty slim of anything bad happening but I thought it would be playing it safe and it was free and relatively painless so I went for it. :D

IMHO you should consider yourself fortunate NOT to have this thingie, cancel the appointment, and spend that hour and a half having a beer with your friends.

My thoughts exactly, I'm glad I didn't have that on my Lebaron and Shadow, it's a pain to have to go through all that hassle to just push a vehicle up or down the drive way while working on it.

Back