• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help, what is this?

wifesXJ

NAXJA Forum User
help, what is this? updated

2000 XJ, 6 cly.

I think it is some type of vapor filter? There is a box, plastic, located just in front of the real axel, bolted to underbody, and has 3 lines (appear to be low pressure), one running to what looks like the top of the fuel tank. I busted one of the plastic nipples off and need to either glue or replace this part. I would attach a pic, but dont see a link to let me do that. Thanks.

I have done some looking on the net, sources show the filter inside the tank. Still not sure what this black box is. How do I attach a pic? (says, I am not allowed)

Last edited:
well, that makes sense. the cheap manual that i have shows the fuel filter as a clylinder shape, what i am looking at is like a box, secured by a metal sheild. hmm.

hey, by the way, i grew up very near mt. view. just over in los altos.

I'm pretty sure the fuel filter is in the tank on the '97+ XJs.

I have a '96 so I can't really tell you without a pic as I don't have any experience with the newer models.

It is not a filter, it's part of the fuel evap venting system. Guess none of you ever noticed that there is no evap cannister in the engine compartment on 97+ XJ's.

so if i snapped off the nipple of the line that runs to the fuel tank, i should be able to simply epoxy it bank in place to still capture the vapors? i figured this was a carbon filter of some sort.

Last edited:
Yes that sounds like its the carbon canister. It is a storage for fuel vapors before they are purge into the engine to get burned off. make sure there are no leaks. A leak can cause a check engine light.

Yeah, It's the evap canister. You should be able to just glue it back together. Not too sure it will set a flag if it leaks, but you might have issues with the inspections folks.

Back