• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearing results besides more power

IndyXJ

Member #1314
Search was inconclusive- I know regearing will give me my off the line torque back somewhat, but what about descents? For those with AUTO's, going down hill in large tires and 3.55 gears and then moving up/down to 4.56, etc. Do you notice a difference in that regard? I am gonna regear, just wondered about other possible benefits. I'm aware it's less stress on the tranny too.

Thanks!
Bill :lecture:

i recently regeared to 4.88s & it pulls the 35s ALOT better..

IndyXJ said:
How are your offroad descents though? Does it hold back better than before, etc?

Thanks!
If you do the gear lockouts then it will improve your decents. Another benefit is that you get more control over your vehicle (as to where it goes and whether it actually gets there :D)

I don't get it.....are you trying to justify regearing to yourself or someone else?

The correct gearing for a given tire size improves all aspects of the engine and tranny's performance. That includes descents, ascents on and off-road power and mileage. All of it.

CRASH

I hate math, believe me. But wouldn't one of the more complex gear/crawl calculators show that you technically have better engine/tranny braking on a decent once you regear for larger tires?

This one is nice

http://www.lonestar-ebc.com/Tech/Calculators.asp

Last edited:
Crash-No, I'm full on about regearing. In the works, just wanted to learn more about how good it is. No justification needed! :)

Wes-thanks, looks like what I'm looking for!

Bill

4.56s 33's and going down a steep trail, stick it in 1st(auto) and i usually dont need much braking. before with 31s and 3.55s i would be riding the brakes quite hard

Back