• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did i screw my self for my SYE install

thisfirstlove

NAXJA Forum User
so i lifted and measured for my new DS and SYE...then i noticed the backe end was sitting way higher then the front so i deceided to throw some spacers up front to level it out...now my measurement from the output splines on the T-case to the yolk on the diff has jumped from 31" to 35"...am i screwed?

That's alot of spacers!

Yes, 4 inch difference would be in the new drive shaft area. I went from about 6 inches of lift to just over 8 inches (and swaped in 35s from 33s) and I'm right at the limit of how much slip should be left in the TW D/S. Called them last week, they recommended at least 3 inches of splines (4 is better) inside the slip joint and at least 1 1/2 on the compression side.
If you don't have your shaft already, call who ever is building it and give them the updated numbers.
Oh yeah, the measurements (yoke center to yoke center) from the above changes, altered about 2 inches.

changed 4" how in the world is that, how big were the spacers you added to the front??

crap, i think tom woods already shipped my ds...ill call them today...they were only 1.75" spacers but i think i was a little under the influence during my first measurments :(...thats the price you pay

thisfirstlove said:
crap, i think tom woods already shipped my ds...ill call them today...they were only 1.75" spacers but i think i was a little under the influence during my first measurments :(...thats the price you pay

i wasn't gonna suggest that u may have mis-measured on the 1st go, but U may have mis-measured...
someone else (including myself, hint, hint) may want the driveshaft you've ordered..
what lifted height were/are you @ & what type fixed yoke are you connecting to, if that makes since??

JLane99XJ said:
i wasn't gonna suggest that u may have mis-measured on the 1st go, but U may have mis-measured...
someone else (including myself, hint, hint) may want the driveshaft you've ordered..
what lifted height were/are you @ & what type fixed yoke are you connecting to, if that makes since??

Thats alright because Tom never makes em right anyway, I use Arizona driveline superstore. great guarantees and order on thursday ships on friday. many comp rigs use em too. If it is a long travel DS you wont have a problem but if it is the usual TW shaft it only has 3" of spline. you might be able to bring it to a local shop and have it retubed

I was at 6.5" in the rear and about 5 in the front, now im at 6.5" in the rear and like 6.25 in the front...thats a guestamate since i hacked my fenders and cant measure them anymore. Where would i get the DS retubed at? would a local macheine shop be able to do it?

thisfirstlove said:
I was at 6.5" in the rear and about 5 in the front, now im at 6.5" in the rear and like 6.25 in the front...thats a guestamate since i hacked my fenders and cant measure them anymore. Where would i get the DS retubed at? would a local macheine shop be able to do it?

Yep check your local yellow pages for a DS shop in you area, Most machine shops dont do DS work because of the expence of the balancing equiptment

thisfirstlove said:

i know locally i just got an over the phone quote yesterday of +/- $150 to retube & balance a cv-drive shaft..

look in the yellow pages under DRIVESHAFT
(locally here in Birmingham there was 3 listings..)

yeah a machine shop probably would be able to retube it for you @ what ever their hrly rate is X hrs taken to do it,
--but unless they have the special balalancing machine its likey to have vibes.
some driveshaft specialty shops advertise there shafts are ballanced @ 1,000 miles per hr.
@ highway speeds you gotta figure if your engine is turnin 3grand then that d/s is humming pretty darn fast, so point being get it blalanced by a pro..

thisfirstlove said:
Im gonna talk to tom woods and see if maybe they will send me a new one...maybe? then i can save money...just time without the jeep :(
I just talked to someone at tom woods and i just have to send it back, and they will lenghthin it for me...all it costs me is shipping there and im gonna overnight it back cause i wanna drive :)

Back